steel buschorns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
scottwilko said:
the easiest way to sum them up is that they do not color the sound at all( not boxy) .they are invisible , i have a pair made out of BB to use as a comparison

Every material has its own mode of natural vibration and depends also on size and mass to its tune.

Of course steel has a higher resonance mode than wood or mdf. As with wood you may need reinforcement to get higher resonance frequencies on certain bigger panels… well you get the idea, it may ring like a bell with some specific frequencies.

;)

It will resonate, as you say, like anyhing. The trick with materials is to push them outside the cabinet's main passband. With an FR driver and ~10ga, it's unlikely to be a problem. GM's the man to discuss metals for enclosures with though... my knowledge is very limited, from working on armour plate design for 19th century warships & my sword casting / forging. Ron might have some views too -he's working on metals at present, albeit in a very different area.

This could be a very interesting discussion indeed, & I for one am looking forward to it as we're in an area that hasn't had much exposure / been explored by many DIY speaker enthusiasts.

Scottmoose said:

This could be a very interesting discussion indeed, & I for one am looking forward to it as we're in an area that hasn't had much exposure / been explored by many DIY speaker enthusiasts.

I just have a nasty feeling that there is something we have overlooked??? The industry would sure have taken this approach if it was as feasible as we think it is.

Magura :)

Well, I've used electrical distribution boxes including a few large floor standing ones and the only major downside for consumer or DIYing I know of is the weight. Indeed, I believe it was B&W that was touting cast alum. cabs on one or more of their models not too many years ago and seems to me I've seen some high end speakers made from various types of metal recently, but I didn't bother to save the links since they're 'preaching to the choir' with me and historically folks dismiss this type of construction out-of-hand when I've mentioned it for whatever reason, so what's the point?

A metal forming brake isn't any more costly than woodworking tools and with the plethora of adhesive systems available today there's bound to be at least one cheap, easy to use one available to the general public. Really, you don't even need the brake since you can buy small sheet metal or alum. angle stock to bond to flat sheets, which can also be used to brace large panels if you're out of BB ply or similar scrap.

As for 'ringing like a bell', this is exactly what you want it to do since it will place the cab's Fs well above its passband, ergo can't be energized as long as all the drivers are isolated with gaskets or similar.

GM said:
historically folks dismiss this type of construction out-of-hand when I've mentioned it for whatever reason, so what's the point?

I see a great point in this, as making such boxes is a day in the workshop, from scratch to finished and painted speaker in the living room :cool:

And I even believe I can get the material cheaper, so what's not to like?

Magura :)

Sorry Greg, that was something dredged out of (very) hazy memory about circulating eddy currents etc. Thanks for the correction.

Back in the 1980s, Celestion had the SL600 with aerolam (aerospace honeycomb aluminium) which had a heck of a reputation, Not to my taste -they needed at least 70watts before they're come to life, but you could hear the advantages of the construction.

I like the idea of the metal cabinets, although I've never had the opportunity to make one. The benefits seem pretty conclusive -you never know; the time may well be neigh for its wider acceptance. Hope springs eternal. :)

Well, not sure it's a 'correction' till we get to the bottom of it. I mean I used CRS that was designed for electrical apps, regular HRSPO or even CRS steel designed for other apps may have issues I'm not aware of.

I would like to see metal cabs become a viable option for DIYers though . Then again, it would be one less thing for folks to er, debate. ;)

Magura said:

I see a great point in this..........so what's not to like?

Nothing IMO, but that hasn't held much sway over the years. If some folks can audition yours and 'talk them up' on the forums if they like what they hear, then others will maybe give it a try and it could turn into another BIB 'happening'. :)

my reasons for making them out of steel was so that i could unbolt one side wall to make changes, and my mum and dad didn't like the way that my original pair sounded like they were coming from a box,so steel i thought , i tried to research it but i could not find even one picture . but a word of warning ,if you have kids they will need outriggers because these are heavy 45 to 50 kilos

An experiment of mine in explosion proof cast alloy:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98948&highlight=

These were abandoned when I learnt that it was the worst possible shape. They make good speaker stands at least.

The thing I like about steel is you can bend it. Wood is organic yet difficult to work in anything except square forms, steel is not organic yet is easily shaped into flowing curves.

I'm picturing a curved chang with a centre chamber made of one piece of steel with 2 inch radius bends. Plywood sides, Back, top and bottom made of a single strip of metal slotted into a groove in the side panels. Brushed finish on the steel to echo the grain of the wood, mirror finish gloss on the wood to echo the metal. Oh yeah. :D

Hmmm

Had not seriously thought of steel - despite my dad being a (retired) boilermaker by trade :scratch: Go figure.

Steel is dang heavy though, or are we talkin' pretty thin plate?.. Could work for smaller enclosures I guess - frugalHorn anyone? With a bit of prep and care, a nice auto or powder finish could be used.

Cheers
Raymond

wouldn't any type of magnetic alloy have some undesirable affects on the radiated flux pattern of big-a$$ motored drivers that tend to be used in BLH designs, particularly those with such close tolerances as say the Busch, Frugal and Ron Clarks A126, to name a few?

As to not being able to "bend" wood, any experienced luthier or boat builder would possibly be inclined to educate on that subject. It can certainly be done, but CCM. (curves cost money)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
... my knowledge is very limited, from working on armour plate design for 19th century warships & my sword casting / forging.

Crikey Moose! I didn't know you were that old. :xeye:

I'd love to see and hear some metal cabinets. But I sure don't want to move them. Most of us "think" that wood will be easier to work, but it isn't always, is it?

Is there any advantage that steel has over alumin(i)um here? Al (I'll stick to the chemical symbol to avoid turning this into the Spelling, capitalization, and grammar thread) has a significant weight advantage even if you go a bit thicker for stiffness...

Aengus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.