Star Grounding Hub Connector

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my first job after I moved to Cali (early 80s) I worked for a firm that made 2-way radio test gear. While there, I encountered a curious bit of hardware meant for providing a central star grounding point on a chassis, It consisted of a little turret that you screwed down to the chassis. It had on top a circular hub pierced all around with holes, so you could insert all the ground wires you wished to terminate at a given point. My colleagues used to call them "ground wheels", but if you search by that term or other obvious variants, you get everything but that. Does anyone know the exact name for this part? Engineering is like magic in some ways - if you don't invoke the demon by his exact name, he won't come.
Last edited:
Have you looked at electrical supply houses or similar??

I'm thinking for no good reason that these originated with sign lighting work, or theater type wiring... but I have no reason to know why my brain thinks that.

I'd expect someone else might know... also try this question on an antique radio forum?

We just had a thread about these on some forum I frequent, forget where. Within the last few months or so.

There are the rings - like a wide washer with holes around it. Then there are the ones that look like six regular solder lugs fanned around a circle, but is in reality one six-lobed lug with center hole.

They may have some for high current work like signage, but the ones I have in mind are small sizes for use in things like amplifiers or other consumer goods.
Same principle, but way too big for my purposes. The part in question has a small hollow shaft with a disc on top that's pierced around its periphery to accept wires from all around. The hollow shaft allows one to stack a few if you have an utterly insane star grounding situation. The actual part is about as big around as a thumbnail. I may have one or two stashed away in my junk somewhere, but you know how that goes....
A copper pipe cap, available at any hardware store, works pretty good for me. I trust soldered connections better than mechanically tightened ones. Just be sure you've either tinned the cap and/or have plenty of heat so the solder will reliably flow onto the thicker copper. I either drill holes into the side or use a thin saw blade to cut slots to insert wires.
Not looking for how to DIY it, but what it is properly called, and if anyone makes it!

Here is photographic evidence, showing the original in a bit of Rockwell Collins gear, and a sewing bobbin next to it (a DIY solution).


    140 KB · Views: 121
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.