SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Proper dummy loading first. Not to choose a too heavy load value for the available CCS current at goal Vout. So to make sure the reg is not starved. By measuring voltage drop across R101 and dividing by R101's value you derive the CCS current available.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK then with the dummy. Now measure voltage drop across R101 (or R301). So we know we have enough current. Then make sure the four wire connection to the dummy is correct by comparing to the wiring photo in the guide. If those two steps are good, then we will look in the red leds correct orientation, small transistors correct position and health, and in Mosfets health.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK 150mA spare then. That's good enough, kinda hot-rod. Inspect for correct red leds orientation now. Also make sure there is a proper bridge in unused places of the voltage set components (in the see text outlined area). We want the voltage setting parallel leg unbroken.

I have a question about heatsink size and whether I should make some alterations.

I need 250mA and currently have 550mA CCS (measured voltage drop across R1 and divided by R1 value). is this too much, should I alter the value of R1? The heatsink on Q106 gets quite hot, I can touch it but it is at the upper limit of what I can comfortably touch for a couple of seconds (the baseplate it's touching gets warm for a few cm around the heatsink), do I need a bigger heatsink and would it hurt to get one say 120mm by 50mm by 50mm and have both Q101 and Q106 attached to it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cut back 150mA and it should make quite a cool down difference as it is if you don't need more than 350mA peak for the load it feeds

*Instead of bigger heatsink, try direct mounting of Mosfets to the baseplate (keeping the Silpads) if its still too hot for your comfort