SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

salas what is the case if im using the BIB to power an amplifier where its current consumption is higher in peak than the constant current the BIB can provide.

Lets take an example that i want to build a 50W Solidstate amp with bias about 70ma per transistor and use bib to power it with idle current from the Bib being 100ma

But in reality the current demand from the OPS of the amp will be in the order of 2Amps or more
so will the bib be able to deliver the current? i think the Bib just moves out of class A zone and be in AB.

But will there be benefit using bib to power up such 50W amp?
Does it atleast reduce the noise atleast as the load current is higher than the bib is set.

Program to get some bottom line Rigol, Siglent, GW Instek etc. digital scope. Or some used classic cathode ray tube scope from Ebay, whatever you fancy. You are surely going to thank yourself for that many times in the future when so easier for solving situations in this hobby.

Since its a digital amp better use soft recovery diodes like MSR860G / MSRF860G

20000uF would be better at such constant current if it fits

Do I need to sink the rectifiers here as well ?? Do I need less sinking if I use a 15A rated than a 8A rated ?? What are the considerations in choosing rectifiers for the sslv1.1 and in general please ??

Is it possible to parallel 9530 at the output and/or the CCS to spread the load and heat??

If possible, I may be able to avoid using fans. I am just dreaming out loud :(:confused::scratch1:

Cheers.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You sink the diodes because constant current at the level you look for will warm them up much more than peaking high current in non CCS PSU. Either isolate them or get special plastic back versions. Paralleling MOSFETs in a design that is not anticipating takes lab check to know about oscillating, modding, i.e. design level stuff else it's random and it could blow up. I suggest IRFP9240 that has strong body instead.

Salas SSLV Mundorf EVO Oil build. Additionally regulator has: 4xCree SIC diodes on rectifier, 4-pole Mundorf cap.

I did test with bunch of different capacitors:
Electrolytes:
Black Gate Standard (bit short on bass for me, very balanced)
Elna Silmic II (best bass, worst highs, great tone)
Elna Silmi Alpha ARS (best of all electrolytes. Bit better than BG)
Nichicon Muse Bipolar (bleee ... too muddy)
Panasonic, Nichicon (ok, good copromise cost/quality)

Unfortunatelly every electrolit has its own signature/personality.

The I tried polymers:
Panasonic FP - very good highs, however tone is very bad, which makes it very uninvolving.
Sanyo OS-CON (bit worse than Panasonic FP).

Polypropylene:
Clarity Cap TC 2 100uF (I used it previously in my tube buffer)
Calrity Cap EAS 10uf. (I used it previously together with LL1684 as low pass filter)
Wima MKP.

In general all polypropylenes sounded almost the same. They sounded kind of: electrolytes without its own peronsonality. Very clear, spatious without any ephasis on

specific frequency.

Mundrof EVO Oil:
WOW! No need for A/B testing. Best tone of all. Smooth, natural, spacious, involving, engaging. Realy easy listening. The change was similiar when connecting dac to the

tube buffer. Big step from polypropylene ones: Have no electrolyte ephasis, have same clarity as polypropylene and additionally have this enjoyable, pleasant natural

tube like analog tone.

Test was done one on:
Diyinhk USB-I2S - Salas Ref D 3.3V powered.
2xpcm1704 - Salas Ref D -/+5V powered.
I/V(ad797) and lpf/buffer(lme49990) - -/+7V Salas SSLV EVO Oil powered.
Connected to my: Audio PC with linear regs and then to modded Naim 5si and Monitor Audio Silver 8.

Time has come to connect Salas SSLV Evo Oil to dam1021 :)
First as -/+5V to the before onboard local buffers for shift registers and then skip onboard buffers and connect it directelly to resistor ladder @ perfectly matched

-/+4V.

And here is my question Salas:
Can I run Salas SSLV with such low voltage 4V (Mosfet version)? Then if so I assume I should short the resistor and trimmer and put one green (2.1V) and one red led

(1.9V) as Vref, right?
Then I want to compare it with Salas Ref D runnig at 4V. Salas are there any Zout plot for ref d?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ABkj8ryEeLZWF5RVR2RVBSbnc/view?usp=sharing

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All the above subjective findings are for the Vref filter capacitor and Zobel capacitor positions only, yes?

4V SSLV MOSFET out no, its a strech, too close to its own VGS. There is the BJT option to install for that.

I will simulate for you Ref-D Zo for both resistor or J option but don't take it literary because its theoretical. Later on.

can we use two positive bibs in the following fashion? I have one 18v supply but can we use two positive regulators like in the follwing pic?

Attachments

• Tworegs.jpeg
    Tworegs.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 187
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas are there any Zout plot for ref d?

Here are the Zout simulation plots I promised. I am very doubtful about the completeness of the JFET models available and there are many practical build parameters not easy to predict so don't consider those plots absolutely trustful.

Attachments

• With_R6_1K.png
    With_R6_1K.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 248
  • With_J2_K117.png
    With_J2_K117.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 252