SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas installed the cmult between the psu (caps + rect) and the BiB (BJT output MJE15029 + 4 yellow LEDs as CCS + 2 red LEDs & 1K as Vref) powering the BIII

-Vref LEDs lit without load, with load don't lit
-CCS LEDs don't lit with or without load
-Vout without load 5.1V
-Vout with load -0.6V

Without cmult the BiB is going on OK with R1 2R4 voltage accros 1.9V so current is 792mA, Vout wih BIII connected 5.1V.

With cmult connected I measured V accros R1 with BIII connected 0.017V : 2R4 = 7mA, gotcha I have to decrease R1 value to set the current but the question is: have I to add more LEDs to the 4 LEDs that I have in the CCS?

Main tx is 9V 30VA, mains filter cap is 2.200uF

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't modify the regulator. There has to be about 1.5V drop across the multiplier and the regulator must work as usual. If there is much drop across the multiplier then there is not enough voltage for the regulator. Means have to troubleshoot the multiplier. That all is OK connected as in its schematic and its transistor is healthy.

If I were you I would test the output of the multiplier into a resistive load. Start with a high resistance to draw little current, measure output voltage, then decrease load resistance until you are drawing more current than the regulatory needs. Measure voltages and temperatures at each step.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If I were you I would test the output of the multiplier into a resistive load. Start with a high resistance to draw little current, measure output voltage, then decrease load resistance until you are drawing more current than the regulatory needs. Measure voltages and temperatures at each step.

Good method. Before an accident happens during tests to rest of components.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Good method. Before an accident happens during tests to rest of components.

Many thanks guys, with resistive load 6R8 I have 534mA but the voltage drops to 3.8V:mad:

I guess I need other more powerful transformer.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, because it holds when serving the regulator alone at 700+ mA. Its a Cmult circuit tested at 90mA load and I think its resistors don't let it perform low drop in so high current you test it for. Try with 47R and 100R instead of 470R and 1K. Use 15-20 Ohm dummy.