SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

.............. Twisted Pears shunt Placid HD regulator (on my Buffalo IIISE which have Trident shunt regulators on the main board as well)........................

I'm sorry but you have to elaborate on this if you got the time. I simply do not understand it. I don't know what a "regulator + amplifier system" is. The Placid HD?
you stated regulator and shunt regulators.
What are these supplying?

There must be an amplifier for you to "hear" a sound.

so back to my statement of my opinion and your query about system quality.

If the "Reg+Amp system" is very sensitive to interference getting through the PSU, then there is something wrong with the "system".

A good indication that the "system" is working well is when it is impervious to what PSU is feeding it.

If the "Reg+Amp system" is very sensitive to interference getting through the PSU, then there is something wrong with the "system".

A good indication that the "system" is working well is when it is impervious to what PSU is feeding it.

Then I'll guess I have to rephrase my question. Is there anybody on this thread who has any experiences with prefiltering on the SSLV's?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello,

I've done some testing with different "pre-filter" power supply configurations on Twisted Pears shunt Placid HD regulator (on my Buffalo IIISE which have Trident shunt regulators on the main board as well) and the difference in sound quality with a choke input filter was NOT subtle. A big improvement in every way. Can I expect a similar improvement by doing the same on the SSLV's that I have in my 1541A DAC built (anyone interested can see pictures on Red Baron 1541A-I2S-En begynnelse) or are the SSLV's less sensitive regarding prefiltering?
Then I'll guess I have to rephrase my question. Is there anybody on this thread who has any experiences with prefiltering on the SSLV's?

If you will look in the thread well back there were many Buffalo users showing Bib builds but I can't remember if they were specifically combining and talking passive or active pre-filtering. Capacitor multipliers and CLC or CRC filters I am sure they have been combining with all shunt regulators in general for analogue pre-amplifiers, and many times with Bib also. Alex uses capacitor multipliers that you can see in the link to his photos for instance. The guys in Paradise phono threads install elaborate pre-filter PCB etc. etc. Its not something new. And they all more or less claim smoother subjective results.

If you want to make a less costly experiment than buying chokes etc. so to evaluate for yourself in your own application, try this simple second order filtering active one that I proposed and two guys liked in the FSP phono thread which has SSLV style integrated regulators. Although its a phono and signal is sensitive by nature they just only found subtle, but welcome clues. So its more a matter of how EMI/RFI interacts with the final circuit, its layout etc. Only use MJE15030 or alike NPN because BD139 is for smaller currents than using it for a Buffalo. Such an arrangement means you delete rectification from a Bib and you move it outside of course, feeding pre-filtered DC where its main filter capacitor now stands.

Attachments

• Cmult2ndorder.png
    Cmult2ndorder.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 272