SS15 speaker swap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
First post! I'd like to build two little subs, mainly for use on techno but also various other music styles including live music.

18" based designs are a bit cumbersome for me (for exemple, Marc.o's MHB-46 looks awesome, but its enclosure is a bit too big).

I first though about Marc.o's MHB30, but I was a bit worried by the 12" speaker and its response in the low end. I tried to found something like a 15" version of the MHB, but it seems it just doesn't exist - and I'm too new to this kind of stuff to dig into Hornresp and adapt the design, considering the differences between the MHB46 and 30.

I was almost decided to go with Martinsson's THAM 15, because of its compacity and response below 50Hz, but was a bit worried by its lower sensitivity, plus I didn't need the enclosure to be that small ; guessing a slightly bigger volume would could give more efficiency (?).

Last I found Jbell's SS15, wich I find to be a good tradeoff between sensitivity, low-frequency response and size. I slightly modified the design for building it with 15mm plywood.

Does it sounds good to you, or did I said nonsense? :eek:

Second, the SS15 is optimised for an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF speaker, wich is fairly good ; but 450Wrms of continuous power handling (if I understand its datasheet right) looks a bit weak to me.
Would the SS15 benefits from a more powerfull speaker? Anly clue of the model then?

btw, big thanks to all of this community for the time you spend discussing and sharing your works and knowledges :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.