SS15 or Tham 15?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

Have been looking at building 8 tapped horns, drivers i have are B&C PZB40's

Have simulated these in horn resp and must admit im impressed with the results if loaded in the Tham15

But just wondering how these drivers would fair in the SS15 ? found a few details , but for the life of me i cant work out how to plot it horn resp

Be greatfull if someone could do this for me

specs are ...

Specifications​
Nominal Diameter 380 mm (15 in)
Nominal Impedance 8​
Ω

Minumum Impedance 6.6​
Ω

Power Handling
(50 –500 Hz)
Nominal​
1 700 W
Continuous Program
2 1400 W
Sensitivity (1W/1m)
3 97 dB
Frequency Range 40-2000 Hz
Voice Coil Diameter 100 mm (4 in)
Winding Material Copper
Former Material Glass Fibre
Winding Depth 21 mm (13/16 in)
Magnetic Gap Depth 9 mm (19/32 in)
Flux Density 1.15 T

Also available in 4​
Ω, data upon request

Thiele & Small Parameters​

Fs 39 Hz
Re 5.3​
Ω

Qes 0.3
Qms 7.4
Qts 0.29
Vas 112 dm​
3 (4 ft3)
Sd 855 cm
2 (132.5 in2)

η​
0 2.9%
X max ± 8 mm
X var ± 6.5 mm
Mms 123 g
Bl 24.3 T·m

Le 2.4 mH

Hi JohnnyPyro,

From the B&C database, these drivers have an Fs = 43Hz and the Xvar or Xlim are not known. The driver can be used in a SS15 and in a Tham :).

SS15_Vs_Tham_B%2526C_15PZB40.jpg

The SS15 is a seriously nice and well balanced design, all be it in the good company of the other nice ones floating around here, I look forward to a comparison between the two that has caught you eye, no matter the outcome, yes seriously :)

PS. Jbell - you're toast :) (and I do emphasize the ":)" )

Good luck with the builds, and thanks for sharing.

Best reg's // martnisson

The SS15 is a seriously nice and well balanced design, all be it in the good company of the other nice ones floating around here, I look forward to a comparison between the two that has caught you eye, no matter the outcome, yes seriously :)

PS. Jbell - you're toast :) (and I do emphasize the ":)" )

Good luck with the builds, and thanks for sharing.

Best reg's // martnisson

And you can bring the 'jam' for my toast.

Game on friend !!! ;)

This is seriously one of the more respectful and knowledgeable sites around, and part of the reason I frequent here.
I too look forward to the builds.

Last edited:
This is seriously one of the more respectful and knowledgeable sites around, and part of the reason I frequent here
Indeed... :)

This is easily the best thread so far in my brief time here on this forum, you guy's almost got taken in at work today, I laughed out loud when a saw this and my colleagues must have thought I had finally snapped, absolutly brilliant, thanks !

How shall I top this ? is it at all possible ?

PS. Jbell - consider it brought :)

Thanks for all the replys guys, just ordered the guides and bits for my router today, just need to work out how to add handles to the Tham without seriously affecting the horn path

JSK.. would that be mr grime from SP? could be worthwhile as were both local .. could also try a variety of drivers

A thanks to Anders and Jbell for their designs .. wish i knew where to start

Lets just hope the toast dont include my voicecoils haha

Any recomendations on measurement equip / software?

My only concerns with the SS15 is the material thickness.. as a "master" carpenter of nearly 18 years and an ex basshead SPL junkie with a respectable 151.7db some 15 years ago .. i think 1/2 ply is just tooo damn thin for this type of enclosure and could possibly lose some fidelity to panel flexing .. so should be pretty interesting

@johnnypyro,
yep grime from sp. I did not bother with handles on all of my boxes, although I have done the cone compensation mod suggested in the post above, this would allow handles to be cut in the void behind. Also have a couple of boxes with speaker clamps, so would be easy to try different drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.