Spooky advertising

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Google admits to using your location data for targeted ads, and it was agreed to in the Amazon "cheap phone" agreement. I believe that it's Google since I have driven past a giant Whole Foods store (Amazon owned) on my way between Sams Club and Trader Joes dozens of times, without getting an ad for Whole Foods.

I leave GPS off most of the time. And google's alleged extra accuracy - based on wifi ssid - is total sh*te so is always off. It once thought I moved 500 miles in 1 second! They have no cell site based location.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ebay hasn't got a clue, and they have my buying history going back to the 90's. They repeatedly try to sell me stuff that I couldn't care about, or have NEVER searched for on any search engine......Washing machine and dishwasher parts because I got stuff to fix my riding lawnmower? Super expensive HiFi amps (mostly solid state) and pricey boutique vacuum tubes because I search for, and buy real cheap TV sweep tubes (under $10 each). Trendy shoes and clothes......don't they realize that I shop at Goodwill and Walmart, and rarely even wear shoes?
Some of that isn't Amazon or eBay's fault, it's the ad campaigns. Having been thru the training and bought a few ads on Google and Facebook, I know that you can cast a wide net if you want to. Or not. Am I selling tubes? OK, I can choose to target anyone who buys vacuum tubes, or narrow it down to someone who buys only cheap used tubes. Which gets more results? Do I sell appliance parts? OK, should I target only people how have bought appliance parts, or do I broaden the reach and hit DIY fix-it-up types?

Online advertising can get pretty granular (to use the current term) but it doesn't always pay to be hyper focused. Advertisers are encouraged to run several different versions of an advert, changing small things like photos, text, demographics and so on. Then they can see the success of various changes and tweaks. Bottom line, advertisers don't always focus as tightly as you might think, for very good reasons.

I listen to spoken word ABC radio or webcasts quite often and it astounds me how often it happens that a rarely used or obscure word emerges from the speakers at the very same moment that I am reading or writing that particular word.
I would be easy to read too far into this.....but then again....lol.

Dan.

The OP can be explained by post hoc ergo propter hoc. It happens to everyone at some point, sometimes seemingly regularly, but it is yet another human failing that we place too much store in.

I guess you *could* explain it like that, but no. It's definitely not the first time, but it's the first time I've documented it. And it was the very first ad I saw after talking to my colleague.
I've decided to try and write down these things when they occur, these events should happen more rarely, given that I am trying to reduce the potential for them to happen.
And after "upgrading" to a phone with the newest Android I am seriously contemplating getting a "dumbphone" instead. It's just too much.

I understand them very well. It's part of my job. Blockchain is not a magic bullet, just a tool in the toolchest to implement a solution to a problem. And rarely the right tool to use.
In this case next gen BC code is written by an original BC developer, and in this case the requirement is that the records are secure and non back editable.
Why would BC be the wrong tool to use ?.

Dan.

I guess you *could* explain it like that, but no. It's definitely not the first time, but it's the first time I've documented it. And it was the very first ad I saw after talking to my colleague.
I've decided to try and write down these things when they occur, these events should happen more rarely, given that I am trying to reduce the potential for them to happen.
And after "upgrading" to a phone with the newest Android I am seriously contemplating getting a "dumbphone" instead. It's just too much.
Yes, it can be explained by post hoc reasoning. If it was a different ad, you wouldn't have noticed it, but because it was recent and front of mind, you noticed it.

It is yet another Logical Fallacy that afflicts many on this forum. Others include Expectation Bias, Confirmation Bias, Straw Man, Appeal to Ignorance, Appeal to Authority, Circular Argument, Red Herring, Tu Quoque, False Dilemma, Fallacy of Division, False Attribution, Incomplete Comparison, and a dozen or so more.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, it can be explained by post hoc reasoning. If it was a different ad, you wouldn't have noticed it, but because it was recent and front of mind, you noticed it.
All true and a reasonable explanation - if it weren't for the specificity of the ads. When the ads show up so closely to talking about the subject, they are related to nothing you've seen before, and there are no related ads, the post hoc reasoning doesn't make much sense.

Exactly. Have you ever seen an advert for Gabion Fencing? I had never seen it before I spoke about it in the car (where my mobile was front centre in it's holder) and never seen an ad for it since. It seems a very specific coincidence to me.

Perhaps we are participating in another clandestine 'social experiment'? Facebook apologises for psychological experiments on users | Technology | The Guardian

I agree that some times we notice things more because we are thinking of them - for example, looking at a certain model of car to buy then seeing them on the road everywhere you go. I don't think Facebook's advertising strategy goes that far!

Others include Expectation Bias, Confirmation Bias, Straw Man, Appeal to Ignorance, Appeal to Authority...

Are these not inherent in all debating fora?

Last edited:
I often suspect that when I follow turn by turn directions from Google or Apple maps. "Lets see what kind of crazy roads we can make this fool drive down. Will he do it? He did!" :D

Haha I think you might be right - This fool had what should have been a simple trip from Canberra to South Sydney where for 3 hours I was sent through farmland back roads, and almost-off-road terrain. Luckily I had a 4WD hire car!

Tromperie, I have no problem understanding, and accepting, that you can fool yourself into believing whatever - The main reason I do not trust my own memory, it can be shaped into anything.
But it's too much to be a coincidence. The funny part is that I actually tried to find the commercial a month before this incident, but failed to do so, maybe because I had just wiped all the cookies. Maybe I can try talking about some obscure products in front of various computers and see what happens.

And I agree completely that google maps is useless.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I often suspect that when I follow turn by turn directions from Google or Apple maps. "Lets see what kind of crazy roads we can make this fool drive down. Will he do it? He did!" :D

Google's mapping used to be good, but has gone to sh*ite.
There's footpaths and gated private drives shown as roads.
I got those corrected once, then they reverted, reported several times more, google does nothing.
Many things are shown in the wrong place - or duplicated (we have 3 post offices shown on the map for our village, two are wrong... businesses shown in wrong place, etc) - and no amount of attempt to report this works.
I wouldn't use their mapping systems for anything now.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It does seem to be "strange" lately. Wonder what happened? Interesting to hear that it's not only in the USA that it wants to take you thru any little path or gully it's identified as a road. Maybe now that they've mapped almost everything, the routing algorithm hasn't kept pace. Perhaps in the past it kept to bigger roads and more logical routes simply because it didn't have all those little places mapped. Apple maps is the same.

I know it does try to find the shortest way, but that's often a ridiculous path.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.