Spooky advertising

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This platform extends to every aspect of life including peer to peer payments and smart contracts and will change our world for the better, with trust, honesty and transparency the outcome, something that the world has never had.

... For some weird reason I have a hard time thinking data mining exploited by marketing departments in multibillion dollar companies, is after truth, honesty and transparency, or world peace for that matter. The only way to win anything at all on this, is by being a large shareholder. Everyone else: Protect your bacon to the best of your ability.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Not sure why everyone is not using adblock.... Startpage or duckduckgo if google worries you, or Tor browser.
Despite all the alleged AI and big data mining, if I do allow ads on - or compare search results - it turns out these guys have no idea what I would want to buy next, or what my search preferences are. Disappointing - almost....

... For some weird reason I have a hard time thinking data mining exploited by marketing departments in multibillion dollar companies, is after truth, honesty and transparency, or world peace for that matter. The only way to win anything at all on this, is by being a large shareholder. Everyone else: Protect your bacon to the best of your ability.
Perhaps you are misunderstanding me.....this IP invention is by the people for the people......informed choice and guarantee of quality of foods for the consumer has always been the driver for the creator of this upcoming universal truth platform.

It also happens that this blockchain secured digital audit trail concept is applicable to every aspect of life and will all too soon become our '1984'......once we each have at the ready and inviolable digital identity every transaction we conduct can be recorded for good purposes including dispute resolution and liability proof/elimination.

There are other platforms that will do parts of what this platform does, however none can incorporate all of the seamless functionality of this platform which afaik is set to become the standard that China will run with and no trade into China will be possible without interaction with this platform, either directly or through exchange services.

There are controls, safeguards, remedies, disciplines and consequences of misreporting built into this system.....manufacturers will no longer be able to get away with dangerous practices in foods or products.
Distributors and consumers of products may be served defect and recall notices immediately and personally, claims of contaminated foods, faulty merchandise etc will build data sets causing manufacturers/brands to be forced to amend their processes or face ban/extinction etc etc, these are just some examples, the list is quite endless.

If we are to have an Orwellian world future complete with 'social credit score', permissions etc, then there must be a corresponding people power control and moderation of this AI 'matrix'.
I believe this authentication platform is required and is the first part of the solution.

Dan.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
- it turns out these guys have no idea what I would want to buy next, or what my search preferences are. Disappointing - almost....
Used to be that way for me, too. I used the Opera browser for many years and had tweaked privacy setting enough that I got no targeted advertising. I was always confused by other people's complaints since I never saw the targeted adverts.

But these days with Firefox, it's not so private. I do all that I can in settings, use an adblocker, Facebook is in a container and runs thru a strict plugin. But the advertisers have gotten better and better at mining. They are so voracious that becomes almost impossible - or takes huge efforts - to keep them out.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
To bad some people start making fun of a pretty serious subject: our (illusion of) freedom.
It's the way you deliver it. You are doing a perfect impression of a mad tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist. You've been practicing this clearly. :)

Perhaps you are misunderstanding me.....this IP invention is by the people for the people......informed choice and guarantee of quality of foods for the consumer has always been the driver for the creator of this upcoming universal truth platform.

It also happens that this blockchain secured digital audit trail concept is applicable to every aspect of life and will all too soon become our '1984'......once we each have at the ready and inviolable digital identity every transaction we conduct can be recorded for good purposes including dispute resolution and liability proof/elimination.

Sorry, as soon as 'blockchain' is mentioned then the bull filter pegs out. Blockchain is merely a way for people to get money from investors to spaff on H&B activities.

Sorry, as soon as 'blockchain' is mentioned then the bull filter pegs out. Blockchain is merely a way for people to get money from investors to spaff on H&B activities.
.....blockchain secured digital audit trail
This is nothing to do with blockchain virtual currencies, this is to do with blockchain secured serially updateable ledger records......iow item provenance records can be serially updated but previous records cannot be edited.

Dan.

"By the people, for the people"...? No? Ok
Yes, 'by the people' means a somebody who 20 years ago thought ahead and saw that indeed we all will have 'Star Trek' personal communicators in our pockets (GPS, Internet, NFC, Biometrics, Useful Display etc) which means we will have practical, convenient and inviolate personal identification.
He also thought through a bunch of scenarios that can grow from this secure personal identity function and one of importance to him is food security and disclosure, enabling informed and trusted choice 'for the people'.

Dan.

My problem is that if this thing keeps on coming, there might be some difficulties maintaining sanity in the future. Imagine every surface you look at being covered in semi translucent visual advertizing of some sort, eventually someone will think it's a marvellous idea to remove "mute" buttons on ads as well.
They are already recording audio and video without consent, this problem will increase.

I've had a couple of instances where I have talked about something obscure privately to another person and then literally the next ad fed to my device was of that thing.

The first one I was talking about those walls made of rocks inside metal cages - I drove past one and commented to the wife about them in the car. The very next ad I saw at home was for 'Gabion Fencing in South Australia'. I didn't even know the name of them let alone ever search for one.

I've resisted wearing the tin foil hat, but sometimes if it quacks, it's a bloody duck no matter how much people deny it.

I’ve never been a member of F-book and never will, but the others are also doing it.

Anybody who owns a smartphone is a member, whether they like it or not. FBook et al are insidious and either come preloaded (often undeletable) or form part of the operating system. I refuse to have FB on my mobile, but the service handlers are always there installed and cannot be removed without rooting the phone.

I was reading an article last month about how FB had been using their VPN app to harvest user's interaction with other apps installed on their device to gain 'market insights'. (Facebook security app used to 'spy' on competitors - BBC News). Basically they would find out what competing app was trending and either crush it or buy it.

I find the whole experience of being bombarded at home with adverts based on something I searched for on a work computer, for example, truly creepy.

If you want really creepy advertising, though, I just remembered this from a few years ago:

Vibrating Train Windows Transmit Ads Directly Into Your Head

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Please explain how you come to this conclusion Bill.

Dan.

Because other than being a crook or fleecing people there is no application for blockchain that cannot be better delivered by other existing technology. Sticking everything in the cloud just increases the chances of things going badly wrong and Soylent green being the eventual outcome.

Because other than being a crook or fleecing people there is no application for blockchain that cannot be better delivered by other existing technology. Sticking everything in the cloud just increases the chances of things going badly wrong and Soylent green being the eventual outcome.
I think you don't understand some concepts here.
First off the platform is a ledger, a serial record of all inputs and serial steps in production and distribution of a commodity, and this ledger is forward editable but not back editable.
In the case of for example wines, a tamper proof RFID chipped label is affixed to the bottle cap/seal and constitutes a remotely readable non counterfeitable and unique serial number.
This serial number is revealed by a dedicated reader or NFC equipped phone which then connects to a database containing information already attached to that particular serial number.
According to the category of commodity, different categories of information will be stored, and according to read permissions different categories of attached information will be presented.
The point of this platform is that it enforces honesty and truth.....transgressors will be found out and dealt with accordingly.
Sure, implementing this platform will cost money, and we will all pay for this as we buy item by item.
I am happy to pay 10c extra for a bottle of wine or jar of organic honey and be able to trust that the product information presented to me is indeed true and correct.
Ask the Chinese mothers of the children who have been life long harmed by the melamine contamination of infant formula if they would be happy to pay a little extra to know that the product is safe.....I am certain there would be no dissent.
In a culture where counterfeiting is rife, ask the general Chinese population if they would be prepared to pay a little extra for certified genuine foodstuffs.....they are screaming out for this already.

Dan.

Last edited:
Sounds expensive, who cares enough to pay for it? Or will it be enforced by the people for the people for the sake of honesty and truth? I'm sceptical, can you tell? Edit, I see you have answered my question in your edit.

Another edit; interesting you mention China, the attitude to counterfeiting is different there than in the West

Last edited:
Sounds expensive, who cares enough to pay for it? Or will it be enforced by the people for the people for the sake of honesty and truth? I'm sceptical, can you tell?
Chinese are going with it for internal use and Silk Road partner trading, the rest of the world that wants to export into China will have to conform, so yes by stealth it will become world wide standard.
Remember this is authentication, track and trace, and secure payments platform......think it right through and you will see that our future world cannot operate without this technology.

Another edit; interesting you mention China, the attitude to counterfeiting is different there than in the West
That is one of the key points, counterfeiting and contamination of foods/wines is rife in China and the Chinese consumer can no longer trust quality and provenance of domestic or imported foods.
Handbags and shoes suffer the same provenance issues but do not generally cause health issues.

Dan.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've had a couple of instances where I have talked about something obscure privately to another person and then literally the next ad fed to my device was of that thing.[/url]
Me too - and I double check my browsing and search to be sure I haven't looked for it. Sometimes, as in your case, it's obvious. There just couldn't be a way for the ad servers to know without listening. Perhaps geo-tracking, but not in all cases.

Of course the databases know more about us than we know about ourselves. There is a famous case of the U.S. retailer Target knowing a girl was pregnant before her parents did. I first heard the story from the IT department at a grocery store that does exactly this type of analysis. Even they were surprised.

Here's one story about it - there are many others.
How Target Knew a High School Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Parents Did | TIME.com
As Pole’s computers crawled through the data, he was able to identify about 25 products that, when analyzed together, allowed him to assign each shopper a “pregnancy prediction” score. More important, he could also estimate her due date to within a small window, so Target could send coupons timed to very specific stages of her pregnancy

I drove past one and commented to the wife about them in the car. The very next ad

I figured this out to be the act of driving by something that's on the advertisers target list. My wife and I were driving down a road near Pittsburgh on our way from Trader Joes to Sam's club. As we drove past a Mercedes Benz dealership an MB ad pops up on my phone. This has happened twice as we passed the same MB store. Neither of us would have a reason to discuss, or even look at the fancy cars, so it must be based on location.

So, Google or Amazon?

Why Amazon? I got my decent (for my needs) smartphone from Amazon. I accepted an offer of "Amazon targeted ads" for a deep discount on the phone. This means that both are spying on me through my phone.

Google admits to using your location data for targeted ads, and it was agreed to in the Amazon "cheap phone" agreement. I believe that it's Google since I have driven past a giant Whole Foods store (Amazon owned) on my way between Sams Club and Trader Joes dozens of times, without getting an ad for Whole Foods.

Every so often we will walk out of a restaurant and be greeted with an ad asking us to review the restaurant......there is a button for that.....DELETE.

At least Amazon gets some of their ads in the right ball park. I may have bought a music CD or two based on ads generated from mining my search habits on Prime Music, of some electronics parts based on their suggestions from other parts purchases.

Ebay hasn't got a clue, and they have my buying history going back to the 90's. They repeatedly try to sell me stuff that I couldn't care about, or have NEVER searched for on any search engine......Washing machine and dishwasher parts because I got stuff to fix my riding lawnmower? Super expensive HiFi amps (mostly solid state) and pricey boutique vacuum tubes because I search for, and buy real cheap TV sweep tubes (under $10 each). Trendy shoes and clothes......don't they realize that I shop at Goodwill and Walmart, and rarely even wear shoes?

Come on guys upgrade your spying skills.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.