Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I went the classic route because I've heard bad things said about the whizzer cones. The reason for going big FR is that I've had small FR speakers for 3 years - driven by an ACA and just loved the FR sound and absence of XO complexity. When I built the M2, I asked advice on a speaker forum and was told that "there is no replacement for displacement". That really got my attention and since I have a limited budget due to being recently retired and also living in a country with a currency far weaker than the US$, the Audio Nirvana's just made sense.

I read the negative comments above about the Audio Nirvana drivers and honestly, it doesn't make sense to me. Yes, they do need a little help here and there, and I've accomplished that with EQ and now I really love these speakers. To me the sound is exceptional. Maybe I'm living in a bubble, but who cares? As long as I like the sound and keep on being amazed by it, I don't care if there is peer jealousy between speaker manufacturers. It's none of my business. I've made my choice and it seems to be a good one. When my audio buddy heard these speakers he said "world class".
Glad to hear you’re enjoying the speakers. At the end of the day you have to like what you hear. We all have our own preferences. Enjoy the music!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
That is all that counts. Here is the factory impedance curve Ithe ones i made are more dramatic), but you will notice all the bumps in the curve above primary resonance. Each one of those is a cone resonance, and they drive my ear/brain crazy. I have measured thousands of drivers and most have a smooth curve above resonance, with only the piston to chaotic radiation, and an occasional one if the driver has a HF resonance (common amoung FRs)

dave

May my hearing never improve to the point where I can hear bumps in the impedance curve. You are truly gifted.

:^)

That be the important bit. You only have to make yourself happy.

dave
Yeah, i understand where you are coming from. We do not have to convince anyone, about anything. If it sounds right for you, its all right!

But🙂Well, almost. If you are reasonably sane, you will want to and have to test ”it” against reality.

Well my really high fidelity speaker theory after 40 years of testing builds is: Go really big, or go home - as a utterly defeated and spanked weak-fi midget speaker donkey.

🙂🤚

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2022
Paid Member
In an earlier post I asked for suggestions about speaker pairing for Aleph J. Zen Mod was plugging Heresys. After much research, I ended up building Crites 1.5Ts. (https://critesspeakers.com/crites-speakers.html). They are a two way with horn tweeter driver and 12" woofer. My original speakers were Zaph MTMs with a subwoofer. For years I thought they were just fine and then I compared them to the Crites. Holy crapola, what a difference. I didn't know what I was missing. A whole other dimension (or two). I can't stop grinning every time I listen with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I have to make a real fast decision as friends are coming over from the USA and might bring me the sweet FW pcbs without the need to pay for taxes and expensive shipping to EU.

What's the lowest required 8ohm speaker sensitivity that can be still properly driven by the 25wpc First Watt designs? Average moderate listening levels. Room size up to 25 sq meters (~270 sq ft)? I am considering building new pair of speakers next and those might be in the range of ~87-88db/1w - 2way or 3way classic troels designs.

I have a second-hand pair of PMC Twenty 22s (quoted sensitivity 90dB) and get surprisingly good results with a single stereo ACA (driven by a Whammy), albeit in a relatively small UK room. I get the impression the the highish output impedance of the ACA allows for a slightly looser bass control, which suits the room and my musical tastes.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
My speakers are 86db. Amp is the F5 with a passive pre. I never play it full blast, don’t need to. But if I did it would easily fill my 600 sq ft space.
are your speakers 4ohms? F5 can handle a tougher speaker to drive than many other pass clones and puts out more juice in to 4 ohms. I did not particularly like the ACAs or aleph J on 82db 4 ohm speakers, but loved the aleph J on more sensitive 8 ohm speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
are your speakers 4ohms? F5 can handle a tougher speaker to drive than many other pass clones and puts out more juice in to 4 ohms. I did not particularly like the ACAs or aleph J on 82db 4 ohm speakers, but loved the aleph J on more sensitive 8 ohm speakers.
That's the reason I am choosing from F5 and M2x. Both drive heavier loads better and that leaves me with more options available in choosing next speakers project. M2 is an easier build as well and can be built without obsolete or hard-to-get jfets.

My speakers are 86db. Amp is the F5 with a passive pre. I never play it full blast, don’t need to. But if I did it would easily fill my 600 sq ft space.
How sensitive are your speakers? Impedance?