Speakers, Lifestyle, & Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Big hockey puck. Looks like ceramic to me. They can be a little bit shouty at times but not bad unless you are really cranking it.

One thing I noticed the other day is that when a light is shone through the surround there are large areas where much more light gets through. It looks like there was some kind of rubber or plastic treated fabric used and some of the treatment has disappeared over the years. It doesn't seem to hurt the MR and HFs so I am using them as is.

I was considering the FR125 for a replacement when that becomes necessary but some have suggested that it is not particularly good for OB and I think that the efficiency is much less than my current units.

As I look at other possible replacements in that size range they all seem to have king kong motors with really low Q or nasty rising response or both.

Right now the priority is upgrading the electronics but I have these things running around in the back of my head.

mike

speaker said:
Just curious as to how many factor aesthetic considerations into their loudspeaker projects?

Does WAF or your own desire to have something stylish factor into it at all?
Normally, I don't care much about the aesthetics, more on the design and most of my amps and speakers have a half finished (even if they are) mdf / ply school project look. I ordinarily couldn't care less as I have no SO and my dog is smart enough to stay away from my projects.

However, I'm about to embark on a large multiway design; 4 speakers, front and rear, and subs. Almost all the drivers are here and I've been musing on the design for years. My woodworking skills and toolset aren't great, so I'm going to use this to try to improve those as well. At the same time I've been thinking about how to make them look striking so that when others see them they look a bit exotic, as well as sound wonderful.

The first pair will be simpler large rectangular boxes. I'll use these as 2ch music speakers until I'm more confident of my skills to make the more complex and striking design, which will be nearly functionally identical to the 'boxes', which will then be substitued as rears. Drivers are all Pro high efficiency JBL, Altec, 18Sound, B&C and BMS in a 15" / 10" / 1" / 10" / 15" vertical array.

Shinobiwan's recent project has been a huge inspiration, but I doubt mine will look that good. A panelbeater mate will paint them for me.

The subs will be tapped horns and will likely be the very first built as these seem to be the easiest of all, and I can use them with my KEF 104.2's until the first mains are finished.

I'll also be tackling 8 channels of tube amplification and will be using my Quest prosound amps for the TH subs. I already have the parts and the designs are finalised from previous incarnations. I've designed this lot to all be the same size and shape, about the same dimensions as a PC tower case, all in Aussie hardwoods. I pick up the wood later in the week.

I have no TV and am spending less time online so I reckon between 12 and 24 months to completion. If I went my old ugly route, it'd be 3 months max.

Edit: once completed, the plan is to listen and play music for a decade or so, an not change or mod the designs at all. I went through this sort of phase in the 90's so I know I can do it.

Re: So here we are a year later......

speaker said:
Anyone have any new thoughts on this topic?

Back to the beginning -

Just curious as to how many factor aesthetic considerations into their loudspeaker projects?

For me the beauty of the shape of the speaker is very important. Especially the larger that it is. Some designers see beauty in complex mechanical contraptions. This is especially evident in some of the ridiculus high end turntable designs. I can't even move forward with a design until I have a cabinet shape that I like and fits into the room to some degree. As far as I am concerned, things that are designed for pure function need to be out in the shop or plant.

I don't want them in a room I want to relax in.

That being said there is a large range of subjective like and dislike for what one considers to be the aesthetic appeal of something. For some the finish of the cabinet is the most important. I must confess that for me the number of objects taking up space in the room and how they are arranged is more important than the finish on the objects as long as things look reasonably pleasing. Having too many things clumped together in my space is displeasing.

D I P O L E S

Attachments

• perfect_8.jpg
    perfect_8.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 387
speaker said:

Does WAF or your own desire to have something stylish factor into it at all?

If yes, please post a link to your project(s) if you have one and any comments as to what you folded into the design in this regard.

:)att'n: Only looking for builder's comments and not a design critique of their work.)

As far as factoring looks into speakers, with each speaker I build it gets more and more an issue. Keep on striving for perfection, and I usually want a speaker that compliments the surrounding, but is still a contrast if you know what I mean. At the moment I am building, well what I hoped was a small 3 way, but with 31mm walls and >36mm front baffle, starting to look a bit big. And damn heavy. So with the drivers will weigh well over 20kg each. And they will be sitting on a desk....

Spouse Approval Factor doesnt really weight into it unless its damn ugly on paper. And I wont build it (Like my externally braced floor stander... I think it would of looked cool).

But for me overall, comes down to size (Being moveable is always good and not requiring a trolley to move), blends well with the surrounding, functional, and at the moment small-ish (Lack of room at the moment, but once I have my own space I intend to have some large horns and whatever I like!)

I'm not so much into the "artsy" or abstract type of appearance, but I certainly like more than just a box. I like to choose designs that will challenge my box building abilities.

The next couple pairs of speakers that I build will take a lot of style cues from the Sonus Faber Cremona line as well as from the Usher Dancer line. Still very much a traditionally styled speaker, but with a level of class and sophistication, thanks to the curved sides, material selection, and overall understated elegance.

My last pair was more "traditional" but was aimed at finishing them in a fairly short period of time (since they were a christmas gift for my inlaws) as well as experimenting with various high-gloss finishes that will come into play with my next designs. The baffles are automotive urethane paint (which I've used in previous projects) and the veener was covered in a brush-on urethane, which I'm not terribly impressed with.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've been dealing with this as I have been trying to come up with a design for some 3-way OBs that aren't just big rectangles and will fit in reasonably well with a modern decor. I've been to Andy G's site - very nice, fpara, love that shape, gotta see what the Edge says about it as an OB. I've also been to every (working) link on the 60+ pages that come up on a search for open baffle, most cases, acoustics seems to win out over aesthetics. Not that they look bad, just that style doesn't seem to be a big priority. Probably wouldn't be for me if I had a dedicated room.

On a related note, how do you deal with dust, pets and children?
Everyone shows their speakers sans grills and rear covers to show the drivers, etc, but what about keeping the drivers clean and hole free?

For 3-way OB.. checkout this design..
its rectangular but.. doesn't really have to....

In my case, no children, and my cats are very well behaved.. but as you can see, the bottom driver has a grille just in case, and the top 2 drivers are way too high. The smaller cat once tried to 'grab' on the speaker's side, and of course slipped right down.. hehe
but seriously, if needed, I would add full size grilles.

Attachments

• aurasound1 3way-open10.jpg
    aurasound1 3way-open10.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 382
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.