speakers comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I need to decide beetweens two type of speakers to update one old design.

One type is:
comparable with this:
What you sugest? Maybe the SB Acoustic is better but is much expensive and I what to know if comparable with Peerlees (wich is more than half price) worth the extra money.

Thank you!

PS: can you sugest some type of tweeters that work fine with this speakers? Not a expensive ones.

What you think about Vifa BC25SG15-04

Thank you again!

Last edited:
hi Sesebe!

I think the Vifa/Peerless combination is a great one, and if this is your first time building, a great way to start. I used related drivers in building the LM-1 Bookshelf Version.

My suggestion to you is to build simpler and cheaper to start with, and then once you have learned not only your skills and interest, but what you like, then you'll have a better idea of your more expensive project.

The 5 1/4" and 6 1/2" Peerless woofers sound really great, BUT.... they don't have the extension of the SB unit, or Scanspeak. You aren't going to get very deep with them. If you really must have "full-range" the SB is going to help you get far lower, and with more power handling, and my guess, lower distortion., but with a much larger cabinet.

Having said that, the Peerless units sound better than their prices suggest, so either way, you have good choices.

Take a look at the LM-1 and see how much of the design, and crossover makes sense to you. If nothing else it may make a good learning opportunity.

Best,

Erik

I want only to upgrade a 2/3 way speaker.
Originally was a 2 way standflor + side sub-woofer in the same box.
I changed in a 3 way (with side woofer) and worked well until I forced on two nights.
The mid seem to be affected and do not have a good sound anymore (seems that spider has changed the stiffness) and I want to change together with the tweeter.
The mid need to work started from 150Hz-200Hz to 1.5Khz-2.5Khz (tweeter low limit).
For low-very low frequency I have a side woofer.

@eriksquires: I have build some speakers (some are here on forum) until now so the filters and measurements are not a big problem.

Ok

Seems that the next combination is the winer:

tweeter VIFA BC25SG15-04 started from 2Khz​
mid-woof PEERLEES 835004 from 150hz to 2Khz in a close small box (I need to measure the box volume)​
woofer-sub-woofer something 10" SAL that are already in the box and seems to work ok. It is a side woofer.​

If you thing that something is wrong please comment.

Last edited:
One more question:

I read that I must not expect to a high a level of output from a single speaker so the questions is can I use 2 mid speakers in paralel? More then that, it is more easy to buy 4Ω version and I can conect it in series to obtain 8Ω.

Sometimes I like listening at high volume and it would be good if it would be able for small parties.

So what you think? Should I go to 4 or are enought 2?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member

Attachments

• 20150930_183509.jpg
    20150930_183509.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 325
Are you just going for subwoofer low frquencies, or you want full range, I suggest you look for a larger speaker, small ones can never produce the bass and mid lows that big ones have.

For full range I reckon best ones are within 10 inch size and it utilizes a cloth cone side that has a few wrigles
looks like this
https://sdm-m.netdna-ssl.com/media/.../p11274b-b145e5378392cf1c652d6646132df4b1.jpg

One more question:

I read that I must not expect to a high a level of output from a single speaker so the questions is can I use 2 mid speakers in paralel? More then that, it is more easy to buy 4Ω version and I can conect it in series to obtain 8Ω.

Sometimes I like listening at high volume and it would be good if it would be able for small parties.

So what you think? Should I go to 4 or are enought 2?
You can connect the speakers however you want, as long as the total resitance is safe for your amp

Last edited:

Zaph is making his own pata negra for a while.... thin sound if the cutting is well made !

Sorry, but i don't like the clean informative blogger made a private label owner importing oem low cost stuff made in China a la Dayton, Silver Flute, etc.... It stinks, çapue les pieds...:D

Btw i don't know if he imports himself... Probably he has just licensed his name to an importer. Buzziness angels as usual...

Last edited:
Are you just going for subwoofer low frquencies, or you want full range, I suggest you look for a larger speaker, small ones can never produce the bass and mid lows that big ones have.

For full range I reckon best ones are within 10 inch size and it utilizes a cloth cone side that has a few wrigles
looks like this
https://sdm-m.netdna-ssl.com/media/.../p11274b-b145e5378392cf1c652d6646132df4b1.jpg

You can connect the speakers however you want, as long as the total resitance is safe for your amp

I already have a 10" woofer to be used under 150hz (it is a side woofer) but power to this woofer will be 15-25% from imput power and power to mid's (150-2000) will be 55-75% from imput power. The "mid's" will be cutted low at 100hz-150hz.

WHy not just buy a single PA driver which has good Xmax, easy to drive and a big Sd ! Get a 8" with a 96 dB SB acoustic 50 euros tweeter et voilà : simplier, better for your goal ! Certainly good enough for the sound, cheaper, easier to drive for your amp ! After all a pair of two serie driver in // is ...zero dB efficienty gain if i'm not mistaking !:confused:

Monacor, Emminence, B&C, (pas Beyma or GDO will blame you :D) , etc...

As you have subs already !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.