speakers comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Can you explain?
On datasheet the dome has 120W and the ring has only 100W.
It is only because the ring has a bigger coil?

I must have misread the data I thought the dome had 20W power handling! Time for some new glasses! :D

In that case I would question whether the dome could actually be successfully crossed lower because of it's more than double x-max even though it's resonant frequency is slightly higher than the ring. At low power the ring may have the edge, but at higher power I would suspect the dome will be a better choice.

Tony.

Last edited:
I finaly finished the box.
This is how it looks with the new drivers:

Attachments

• P1210611__.jpg
    P1210611__.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 353
  • P1210619.JPG
    P1210619.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 552
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi sesebe sorry missed your question before. No I've not heard either of these tweeters, I was commenting purely on the physical specs, not from experience. Nice work! How do they sound?

Chris, thanks! I really should get out and do more night photography, I got a fantastic tripod for my birthday and have hardly used it!

Tony.

The level of harmonic was variable and direct dependent to the level of the fundamental signal. Until at a level was not visible but after this the harmonic was increasingly more and more as the fundamental growth.
I increased the level until the harmonics was at only 12db-18db less. I do not increased more then that.
I was not expected this from a brand tweeter.
Maybe the tweeter is bad? From the beginning?

Last edited:
Ok, I made some measurements with the full speaker.

It sound ok but I whant more. I will continue to test diferent filters configutrations.

With violet is the output,
with green is the impedance and
with blue is the impedance with the resistor R4=10ohm and placed after L3 coil. The amplifier was'n happy with this configuration.

Attachments

• 24ox8af.jpg
    24ox8af.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 2dhscqv.jpg
    2dhscqv.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 291
I had both, the Peerless has a very high price/performance ratio but same goes to the SB Acoustics. My choice would be the SB Acoustics model unless price is of serious considration. Besides that, the Peerless has pretty high Qts, they would not be interchangeable in the same designso one will fit better than the other.

PS: OK, sorry did not read the whole thread...

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
With my software I simply measure an 8 Ohm speaker with known sensitivity, and adjust the soundcard volume to display the actual sensitivity of that 8 ohm speaker. I can also adjust the volume on amp if needed. when I've done this, I'm ready to measure any speaker for accurate sensitivity.

If I have amp volume set and don't change it for period of time, I can rely on that fixed soundcard output setting.

I can also adjust MIC sensing.

Last edited:
I have a oscilloscope, signal generator and DAC.
I also have a umik-1 microphone to not to rely on soundcard
The phone output of the DAC I use to measure the impedance.
I can check the level at the output of the amplifier with the scope but I need to know at what level to adjust it for a calibrated gain measurement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.