Speaker placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my second attempt to solve the issue of room resonances spoiling music. The last mentioned method of keeping the speakers as close to the back wall as possible is yielding promising results. The music is detailed and there is almost no room booming, only occasionally with music tracks that use long notes coicident with the room's resonant frequencies. This time I kept the distance between the side walls and speakers different but greatly reduced the difference. I remembered using a tuning fork to tune a column of water, the air column's resonant frequency was very sensitive to changes is its height. This implies, I have to keep the speakers distances from the side walls different, but almost equal. The difference should be the barest minimum to disrupt the formation of stationary waves.

I will do more testing to confirm the effectiveness of my new setup. In the event it is satisfactory, the next step is to use some reflection attenuating material to cover a side wall. This should further improve the room acaustics. However, I need time, as this is tricky. On some days, the music might sound horrible with room modes taking over it.

To 6L6:

The linked article recommends the use of oven fibreglass which is dangerous to handle and keep exposed indoors. I would like to avoid having to use a dangerous substance like firbreglass. Tiny fragments in air can cause a serious debilitating health issue which is permanant, as tiny glass fragments embed themselves in the lungs and the body is not able to get rid of them. The condition is known as silicosis.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok, use a batting made from recycled cotton -

852359004198_01244006.jpg

4645-R67-Denim-Insulation-Roll-16-in-x-48-in-6Pack-9e2e8e1d-9e29-4b67-8b17-af14ba038a55

This is my second attempt to solve the issue of room resonances spoiling music. The last mentioned method of keeping the speakers as close to the back wall as possible is yielding promising results. The music is detailed and there is almost no room booming, only occasionally with music tracks that use long notes coicident with the room's resonant frequencies. This time I kept the distance between the side walls and speakers different but greatly reduced the difference. I remembered using a tuning fork to tune a column of water, the air column's resonant frequency was very sensitive to changes is its height. This implies, I have to keep the speakers distances from the side walls different, but almost equal. The difference should be the barest minimum to disrupt the formation of stationary waves.

I will do more testing to confirm the effectiveness of my new setup. In the event it is satisfactory, the next step is to use some reflection attenuating material to cover a side wall. This should further improve the room acaustics. However, I need time, as this is tricky. On some days, the music might sound horrible with room modes taking over it.

Very interesting, and also coincidental. That arrangement is almost exactly what I have, though more by happenstance than design, it is 'forced' on me by circumstance; I cannot have the speakers out in the room.

I had worried that with speakers close to the wall behind them, the bass would be excessive, this being said by many when giving general siting advice.

Although my bass is perhaps a little excessive, (a bi-pole with an 11" woofer facing the wall as well as into the room), I do not really hear definite 'taking off' type problems, in fact it is tight and the best in terms of tunefulness that I have had.

To 6L6:

The linked article recommends the use of oven fibreglass which is dangerous to handle and keep exposed indoors. I would like to avoid having to use a dangerous substance like firbreglass. Tiny fragments in air can cause a serious debilitating health issue which is permanant, as tiny glass fragments embed themselves in the lungs and the body is not able to get rid of them. The condition is known as silicosis.

BAF is widely used as an alternative now.

Pharos said:
I had worried that with speakers close to the wall behind them, the bass would be excessive, this being said by many when giving general siting advice.
I have an acoustically treated wall just behind the speakers, although, the treatment is not the best one can get. The wall is covered by a layer of polystyrene with a backing of cardboard. This is prevented from being in contact with the wall by small polystyrene spacers. The whole idea is to present any incident sound waves with a lossy medium.

In your case, you should explore the possibility of using attenuators just behind the speakers, and maybe, other critical areas. These forums are full of experienced people who can help you effectively. Please, consider me as a humble amateur: I do not want to misguide you.

I found him (in the video), annoyingly verbose and not getting to the point, as I did also with another video.

I want a theory supported by science, or at least validatable anecdotal evidence.

Well, FWIW, I was not overly taken with the manner of the video guy either. However, as I am quite familiar with the subject matter, which helps a lot, I thought he was very much directly on point with everything.

If you want science, well, may I suggest you read and study the books and YT presentations of Dr. Floyd Toole.
BTW, I don't think there is any such thing as validated anecdotal evidence. It's just opinion, and everyone has one. Though if enough people have the same one, then there is a possibility that there might be something to that opinion.

As far as I know, long-term exposure of lung tissue to silicon particles cause silicosis (think of sand blasting). Fibreglass is another material and when not mechanically treated (cut or otherwise) rather harmless. Since most applications will have some kind of cover I think once installed the health risks are far smaller than when one participates in traffic.
BAF is widely used as an alternative now.
BAF has low absorption values really, compared to the right fiberglass or other medium to high density mineral wools. I wouldn't advise a drop in replacement.

I have an acoustically treated wall just behind the speakers, although, the treatment is not the best one can get. The wall is covered by a layer of polystyrene with a backing of cardboard. This is prevented from being in contact with the wall by small polystyrene spacers. The whole idea is to present any incident sound waves with a lossy medium.

In your case, you should explore the possibility of using attenuators just behind the speakers, and maybe, other critical areas. These forums are full of experienced people who can help you effectively. Please, consider me as a humble amateur: I do not want to misguide you.

The following may give some insight. Sorry the site will not respond correctly to my uploads.

Speaker Positioning Guide

Speaker placement is the art of positioning the speakers in the room with the aim of minimizing room effects, aka room boundary reflections, and synchronizing the two speakers so that they seem as One.

Post #2 in the linked thread gives detailed and clear instructions on how to achieve the two goals listed above.

Sumiko master set-up process - AudioAficionado.org

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.