Speaker mods on an el-cheapo speaker

Thanks all for the comments, I have spoken to the retailer and I am returning these.. :)

Considering the Sony SSCS5 or something similar instead.

Thanks @Moondog55 , do you know anywhere that i can buy the SSCS5 in Melbourne. also, is there something closer in spec as an alternative that is availble in Australia (Coz i can't seem to find any online!).

probably will build a speaker from scratch at some point
To build a first speaker, do not build "from scratch" but get a speaker kit with a reputation. Don't order and then look what you bought, but first find out about the product, then buy. Do not buy single speakers and hope they will combine. This is nothing you can do without measuring equipment, a huge stash of parts and years of experience. Not the speakers are the problem, the x-over is what makes two useless chassis a speaker. I know you don't know this...
With a good kit you will learn the basic's and still get a speaker 5x the sound quality of it's price. That would make a good start.

Reactions: 1 user
The cabinet will not really tolerate repeated open and close cycles.

Do what I did, buy old speakers with working drivers, and repair the cabinets, or build new cabinets.

The quality difference between Philips and cheap speakers, in terms of materials used (Philips and Bolton were the only two good quality speakers sold all over India, and both are out of production) is vast, once you delve into it, you will find out for yourself.

Here you have a cheap cabinet, unknown crossover, and drivers that are barely adequate.
If your music or source is not hi fi, and you want to listen to rumbles and screeches at low volume...there is no need to do anything, enjoy them.

Edit:
Just saw that you are returning them.

If you want to save money and do modification, buy speakers in working condition, with damaged cabinets. That will give you experience with cabinet building, and cross overs.
That should be a good starting point.

One of my experiments was with car speakers, never again, they needed expensive repairs (magnet shifted).
Now I have 4 pairs as spares, all Philips India, in their original cabinets. Enough for me...

Last edited:
Members Wolfteeth a J.Shadzji (?) have made designs available in this forum.

Probably overkill, but still, for the price of chipped wood and two chassis, the 4 little tweteers and hopefully a crossover, it's hard to find something for 130 €$
For that money nowadays you buy two woofer chassis.
Or you buy a SB tweeter...
A flat foil coil, anyone ?!:unsure:
Oh yes, crossovers! Two coils for the woofers and two caps for the midrange's Is...130 €$
Want to make an aluminum baffle and have It the holes cut? That's 130

Last edited:
thanks @A4eaudio , .... i wanted to understand the concepts of speaker modding, and probably will build a speaker from scratch at some point. but that will be for another day/time.

You can do whatever you wish with a speaker kit like this : Tarkus by P.Carmody

Drive units are all available from Wagner. Save the project for later use and make yourself acquainted with DIY in its fullest
measure. There is lots of cabinetry to work on, not to mention x/o design. Should you find it overwhelmingly difficult, there is kit schematic to aid you in this respect.

Tarkus is able of working without the bass module, although with a mod or two, depending. The midwofer is quite capable of bass. Then you can modify the cabinet.

Modifications involve measurements, otherwise you are flying blind. Lots of options.

While this is or can be true, in real life these sort of boxes probably need to be totally rebuilt. Spend time maybe but not wasting a heap of money on good XO components or anything, the drivers are not worth it.

I would agree. While the argument that practicing x/o design and other mods may be a chance for good exercise, the drivers are probably such a waste of technology none of the mods would make them sound noticably better. You can practice the same on worthier drivers and actually keep the design for good.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanks all for the comments, I have spoken to the retailer and I am returning these.. :)

Considering the Sony SSCS5 or something similar instead.

Thanks @Moondog55 , do you know anywhere that i can buy the SSCS5 in Melbourne. also, is there something closer in spec as an alternative that is availble in Australia (Coz i can't seem to find any online!).
I have no idea what speakers you are talking about, so "No; I don't"
I'm Old Skool, I use 10" woofers or bigger for my own use; even desk top I use 12" subs

I think the Yamahas would be OK, just add a pair of Dayton or SB tweeters, tweak the xover etc and you've learned something, & not out many $$
re:'Pete, you are in the same country, so please recommend"... - I make speakers as a hobby, so have no idea about what's in the consumer market. Having dissected many 'roadkill' speakers, Yamaha & Sony seem to have the best drivers (But they're still not top tier)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Not so much the drivers but generally better built cabinets so I'd take a punt at $50-
The seller seems to be a S/H dealer or repairer going by the stuff he has on offer.
Buyer beware naturally.
They are home theatre speakers and won't have much bass, being meant for the HT subwoofer to do stuff under 80Hz

In another thread ( multi-way, why should I leave the electros when poly's are said to be Better, anyway) a 95 €$ driver was nominated, the SB15 cac(...)
Lateral view shows solid basket, the description magnifies the merits of the membrane material...
Now, if I have to spend on a dream, the new speaker looks much cool, the Yamahas, they give you four woofers against 1/2.
:rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:

I took the punt and bought the Yamaha NS7900s on the ad i linked earlier

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mor...s-7900-floorstanding-speaker-pair-/1305016684

Took of the blown tweeter and they are 6 ohms and i am unable to find an exact replacement online..

found the one linked below that would fit the diameter of the openining and it's 8 ohms. I am guessing i need to mod the crossover before put them in (8 ohms vs 6 ohms)? any advice on that would be great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32905343210.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.406638dakOt1gQ&mp=1

Last edited by a moderator: