Speaker help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when the parts arrive I'll be building my first amp, a 41Hz Amp6-basic. However, I'm having no luck finding a cheap diy speaker setup. Plus, the lack of wood working tools (Router & biscuit joiner) leave's me no other option but to buy some bookshelf speakers. Here's what I found so far...

Insigna NS-B2111
Paradigm Atom V.2
Dayton B652
MTX 5i

which have the best sound? They will be used mostly for music and movies.

GM

Joined 2003
This is sad commentary on the current state of what constitutes a minimum tool set for DIYing speakers or woodworking in general. Sorry, but this is a DIY forum where these types of tools are a luxury, not a prerequisite, so while I've read some good things about Paradigm monitors many years ago that doesn't mean this particular model is on a par with them and the others are just names to me. Your best bet then is to try these consumer speaker forums or similar:

Speakers - AVS Forum

Home Audio Speakers at Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Now if you decide you can make do with butt joints, glue blocks and have enough manual dexterity to use basic hand saws, caulking gun and the desire to DIY some single driver speakers with maybe a super tweeter, then you've come to right place.

GM

Seconded.

I'm lousy at building things, but the last large pair of cabinets I made were done with a 30 year old handsaw, cheap jigsaw, rasp, & file. No, they weren't exactly commercial-pretty, but the dimensions were accurate, they were solid and they worked, so if muggins here can do it, I'm sure you can. If you really can't manage that then you could always find a design you like & get your local tame cabinet-maker or a suitably reimbursed friend to build them.

>>> Now if you decide you can make do with butt joints, glue blocks and have enough manual dexterity to use basic hand saws, caulking gun and the desire to DIY some single driver speakers with maybe a super tweeter, then you've come to right place.

Agreed. I have nothing but a very old hand saw from my grandfather, a new drill, electric sander, screws, glue and a bunch of clamps. I draw out measurements on paper and bring to Home Depot.

As for the speakers mentioned, i had a pair of Atom's years ago after reading many rave reviews. I returned them. They are one of the reasons i build my own speakers.

Good luck building your amp!

when the parts arrive I'll be building my first amp, a 41Hz Amp6-basic. However, I'm having no luck finding a cheap diy speaker setup.

First off, good choice of amplifier. They sound lovely. I use mine with a 60w laptop PSU, and it gives plenty of volume when called upon.

I'm just finished some of these...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...-reference-project-diyref-fe126e-ml-voigt.gif

They are very very good. They go pretty low (usable output around 40Hz in room), but are still over 90dB efficient, which is plenty. They use the FE126 from Fostex (I used the FE126E, fully treated by Dave to make them eN).
I suspect that the new FE126En would work, but I'm no expert on these voigt pipes...

Still, they'd be my recommendation. It's not as simple as a standard box (one more piece and a small port is needed), but the results are definitely worth it.

Chris

Hold fire a moment. Some points to consider:

So. What sort of sound balance do you like? How large a cabinet can you handle and what type? What sort of material do you listen to? How much can you afford? How large is the room and how far away from the speakers will you be sitting? Once you've given us a few details, we'll be able to give you a few ideas.

Since, this is my first project I would like to keep cost low $115 max not including the MDF.

Project outline

Sound Balance: ? I'm a noob
Project Cost: 100 +/- 15%
Cabinet Size: Any, limit to 1 4x8 sheet of MDF.
Music: Rock, Heavy Rock, & Slow Rock.
Room Size: Medium
Distance: 4-10ft

I built this a few months ago and was thinking of selling it as a kit... but probably will change my mind. It's the dayton 6" woofer plus a piezo crossed at around 6khz in a .5L box tuned to 70hz. It sounds really good and punchy and will cost less than $100. I think it's a good alternative to the speakers listed above... but it's not perfect, LOL!

I am going to play with the 5" daytons when they are in stock again. I have been thinking cheap... but good.

Zilla

Attachments

• Zilla1-Speaker-Kit.jpg
    Zilla1-Speaker-Kit.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 96
I'd prefer not to, if it's all the same to you. ;)

Sound Balance: ? I'm a noob

Exactly what it sounds (no pun intended) like. Elevated HF? Reduced HF? Lots of bass gain? Well damped bass? Emphasis on the midrange? Recessed midrange? And so on and so forth.

Cabinet Size: Any, limit to 1 4x8 sheet of MDF.

That makes life easier.

Music: Rock, Heavy Rock, & Slow Rock.

With small drivers and no supporting woofers, especially as you won't be in the extreme nearfield? Not going to happen. You'd be better off with a nice big fat cabinet with an 8in Pioneer B20 + cheap tweeter crossed in fairly high up (simple cap on the tweeter). The B20s are not expensive, so you could afford a couple of sheets of MDF & build a large box; Nelson's TL seems to be quite popular at the moment, but there are plenty of other options.

>>> Thanks for the offer Godzilla but i'm going to build.

LOL. I'm not selling those in the picture. They are sitting behind my desk playing away now. But the components are cheap enough and the sound is good enough. If you want a cheap box .5L then this is one of many options. When i designed them i was thinking inexpensive college dorm speakers, acid rock with a bit of power handling so they don't blow over 4 years of partying. They may do rock a bit better than the cheaper full range driver types like the one in the Zaph link.

The B20 + tweeter Scott mentioned is another good option for a cheaper build. Scott, have you heard the B20? I know many drivers here in the USA are not readily available where you are... and some by you are difficult to get here (Monacor for example).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.