Speaker enclosure build - 6.5" full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Darrylis,
Here is some finishing material http://www.parts-express.com/brand/vvivid-vinyl/631?N=4294961668+4294967118&No=0&Nrpp=16&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C"P_PortalID"%2C"1"%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C"P_Searchable"%2C"1"%29%5D&PortalID=1&brandSelected=t

Alex

GM,

Thanks for the input, you've been really helpful. Will start putting together the materials. BTW, please explain what this means "two out three of an acceptable room ratio".

You're welcome!

Rectangular rooms ideally need to be sized to average out its eigenmodes, such as 1.0:1.17:1.47, so you could use driver/baffle offsets and/or width/depth of [ML]TLs or similar: 1/1.17 = 0.855:1.00 or 1/1.47 = 0.68:1.00.

The golden ratio is of course 0.618:1.00 and 1.000:2.618 = 0.382:1.000.

Googling gets you a lot of acceptable room ratios, the math to calculate your own to see how close your preferred location is to one: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=acceptable room ratios

........with the best known here: Room sizes compliance with international standards and recommendations

GM

Folks, I saw references on the web regarding a customizable port i.e. a port opening whose size can be changed on the fly to suit the room/preferences/environment etc. Is there an easy way to accomplish this (say with wood or something I can purchase) ? I looked on the web, but not easy to find, as I may be using the wrong jargon.

chrisb,

Thanks for the link, however, I saw that earlier as I was looking into it. I'm wondering if that customizable port can be changed constantly when moving from one environment to another ? Or once a design is settled upon, the port length/size should be fixed i.e. with glue or whatever ?

This is what I'm talking about for lack of a better way to describe it (it was a design by Dan Neubecker called Chamelions). This is how it is described:

Flexport Technology:With the turn of a knob, via an adjustable slot port, the speaker can be set to sealed or ported with a box tuning range of around 42hz-55hz, on the fly, as you listen. As a result, they can be tuned for various rooms or positions in the room, to music and listening preferences or for use with or without a subwoofer.
(source: Midwest Audio Fest 2012 - The premier gathering for audio enthusiasts featuring Speaker Design Competition, Auto Sound Challenge and Parts Express Tent Sale)

Here is a video demo of it at approx 1:13:
https://www.parts-express.com/Video.aspx?VideoID=1437

GM,

Thanks for your note, I've been reading up on those links. Seems like there isn't and end to what can affect/constrain the design. I may have to keep this build simple as it is my first shot at it.

You're welcome!

Yep, the physical world is nothing if not complex, so one pretty much always has to choose from a host of compromises when trying to manipulate/control it and thankfully the KISS system [keep it simple, stupid] works well enough most of the time. ;)

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.