Speaker cables don't influence harmonic distortion!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, but does increased distortion at speaker terminal equate to increased audio distortion produced by the speaker as measured with a mic? I know that perceived bass authority is definitely a function of speaker cable low impedance. You can plainly hear it. How does that show up in measurement - as damping factor at the end of the speaker wires. That is clearly measurable effect also.

X so what sort of measurements do you have to show with respect to that?

long runs or very different gauges i agree would be audible but the levels discussed with respect to the distortion levels discussed i don't think would be audible.

we have to define the term "low impedance" in this instance, no?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Usual frequency response with associated harmonic distortion levels for various harmonic orders vs frequency. For example, this is what I usually measure for a speaker - in this case the VSQ amp with my 10F/RS225 FAST.

Amp-comparison-all-freq-response-HD-Quasi.png

Will be augmented with same plot but for electrical signal at speaker terminal.

to wit the loudspeaker distortion is going to trump amp+wire distortion.
what mechanism would increase/magnify distortion that appears at the speaker terminals within the loudspeaker equating in greater distortion as measured by a mic?

so bass + distortion = greater perceived authority?
or do i have that basackward?

ok i misunderstand, what is your definition of bass authority? and how would it be quantified?

please don't construe this as an attack or argument as i feel you are making a cogent point but i need to understand what it is you are referring to.

as i've been in the live sound and recording side of audio for a long time i would think of it as being present and full (with some low level even order harmonic distortion to enhance it's perceived quality)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
An amplifier with low impedance drive (high damping factor) will have more actuator control authority, if looking at it from a controls standpoint. A woofer driven by an amp with lower damping factor will not follow the signal that it receives as closely. There may be some phase lag or the excursion will not go as deep. It may show up as slightly increased bass extension (via less roll-off), but even in regions like upper bass or mid bass, the transient punch feels more dynamic. That might show up in a true step response measurement, but it won’t really be visible with a traditional swept sine wave excitation for frequency response. Maybe an audio square wave measurement with a mic at 100Hz to 300Hz will show steeper edges and quicker rise times?

If the measured distortion at the ouput of the amp emanates from the non-linearity of the loudspeaker, it means that the distortion voltage is due to the current through the impedance of amp output. For most amps, this impedance is very low, typically less than 0.1 Ohm.

The distortion was measured at the speaker terminals, NOT at the amplifier output. READ post #66.

So it's still the distortion of a voltage drop in an impedance; but now, of the circuit between the output of the power amp before the usual damped inductance and the speaker terminals.

quand le retour EMF de l'haut parleur contient de la distortion additionel a cause de la non linearite de l'haut parleur qu'es quon a?

translation:
when the back EMF of the loudspeaker contains additional distortion because of driver non linearity what have you got?

PS the use of the term "he" should be "it" masculine and feminine terms are not used in english when describing objects.

Last edited:
ok i misunderstand, what is your definition of bass authority? and how would it be quantified?

as i've been in the live sound and recording side of audio for a long time i would think of it as being present and full (with some low level even order harmonic distortion to enhance it's perceived quality)
It can’t be straightly quantified. Being at recording side, i have no doubt, you have listened good sounded systems with tight bass and punchy midbass. Amplifier losses control at tens or dozens of Hz (based on resonant freq of the speaker, oftenly between 80 and 300 Hz) and midbass becomes listless. It can be described on another way, speaker magnet system with actual driving current can’t move diaphragm at needed speed (regardless of reason like high Mms or low BL).

That distortion problem and undampening mostly like to a systems without dedicated midbass section. Clearly like badly designed 1” driver with 15” low-bass. Such a system designer must add any 8” midbass, like Mackie SR1530 or HD1531.
And the problem is not the "distortion" of the speaker, but the currents that he produce (Back EMF) across the amp output low impedance when he moves.
Right!

But even clearly is to say that amp must provide/consume much more current while speakers are hard driven at 2-3 octave higher than resonant freq.

xrk971 said:
That might show up in a true step response measurement, but it won’t really be visible with a traditional swept sine wave excitation for frequency response.
That clever Mr. Fourier insists that if you do a good step response measurement and a good frequency sweep measurement they will tell you exactly the same thing. Only if you do at least one of them badly will they give different results.

Tournesol said:
Expand?

You must be joking.
Why joking while we could be provocative?

Perfect linear zero distortion speakers have been achieved at last.

Why you’re trying to read between lines and conjecture?
Point us where i’ve sayed about zero distortion speaker.
If you couldn’t, but i’m sure you can’t, please take your words back.

Hey, let´s close Universities!
Let’s close universe!
:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.