Speaker Cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
traderbam said:
Once you start soldering an extra length on you make electrical discontinuities at the joints that cause reflections. You don't really want to go there.
It is never clear on this forum when people are serious and when they are joking. Of course, we don't know whether SJ has speakers which go up to UHF, where cable joints might become a problem.

I would like to make an official statement on this matter.

My post #97 was intended as a ****-take of Galu's post #94 where I deliberately mis-interpret his wording concerning adding length to one of the replacement cables. Meant to be funny because a new cable can be cut to the right length in the first place.

In my defence, I would like to point out that almost everything I have posted in this thread is a load of crap. Be warned: I intend to continue along these lines. There are some who are now thinking that everything I have posted in this entire forum is crap but I still claim that my posts in this thread are significantly more dung-heavy by comparison.

Whatever. An update, I'm not buying any more wire at present, I've ordered some "D-line quadrant trunking" to run round the skirting and intend to use more of the 1.5 sq mm brown mains conduit wire I bought cheap off eBay some time ago. I'll be running 4 wires for woofers and wideband, would it be best to twist them into 2 pairs or just leave them loose and separate? I can't imagine it would make much difference either way. I know ideally they should be the same length left and right, but again, can't think I'd notice any difference and it would mean a stupidly long length coiled up (or sheep thingied) on the right

Edit: wrote and posted before I read your reply...

Technically, it will make no difference if the two runs are not equal - unless you're taking one of the runs to Scotland and back!

However, not making them equal will nag away at you and induce eternal worry, doubt and distraction!

There would be a lot of twisting involved, in all probability, to no good purpose in your situation.

Technically, it will make no difference if the two runs are not equal - unless you're taking one of the runs to Scotland and back!
Not quite true, it will effect damping, but I take your point
However, not making them equal will nag away at you and induce eternal worry, doubt and distraction!
Believe me, it won't, I could always match the resistance?
There would be a lot of twisting involved, in all probability, to no good purpose in your situation.
Agreed

Re the unequal lengths - I was thinking in terms of time delay - I've read a discussion on how insignificant this is in a domestic situation.

And the idea of adding a resistor to compensate for unequal lengths just doesn't sit for me - again for nagging doubt reasons!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.