speaker cable myths and facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
That cable is not speaker cable, although the range also includes speaker cable. Amazon are confused.

The spec says <97pF/m. Foam will give velocity factor around 0.8, so I calculate an impedance > 43R. So it is unlikely to be 75R, but could (just?) be 50R. OK for short runs of SPDIF as digital audio is robust - evidence that this thread is on a wild goose chase.

Some foams run a DC of 1.05. That gets into the 97% VC area. 1/sqr(dc).

jn

Some foams run a DC of 1.05. That gets into the 97% VC area. 1/sqr(dc).

jn
That would put its impedance down to 35R. I think we can conclude that it is very unlikely to be 75R, so if it 'improves' SPDIF this either means that impedance doesn't matter at all on such short cable runs with such a robust system or that people are interpreting audible degradation as an improvement. Either case would be disconcerting to cable fans.

If C is constant and the apparent ε is reduced, this means the center conductor has to be thicker, which reduces its lineic inductance, and as a consequence the Zc of the cable

Yes, that what DF96 is saying. I'm just pointing out that the person who's disagreeing with him is holding geometry constant and lowering dielectric constant, which raises the characteristic impedance.

Yes, but that is not what we are doing. We are keeping C at 97pF/m and adding air. That means changing geometry to maintain C as we add the air.
We are at cross purposes here.
If you do that and increase the centre conductor diameter to maintain capacitance (a strange goal), yes the impedance drops.
If you play with this tool Clemson Vehicular Electronics Laboratory: Transmission Line Impedance Calculator
Starting with Er of 2.1, shield radius 1.8mm, core 0.5mm, you get 91pF/m at 53R
Now add lots of air to go down to Er=1.3
Now we have 56pF/m, Zo=67R
To maintain the capacitance you have to fatten the core to 0.82mm radius.
Now you have Zo of 41R
The problem is that the dielectric is now < 1mm thick, so any flexing is likely to cause shorts through foam collapse.
For most interconnect applications, especially MM phono, low capacitance is a bonus

I can't claim to understand the "tool", but I had a look at R'
When frequency is set low the resistance seems to be quite high.
I can't see an allowance in the equations for the cross-sectional area of the shield.
It appears that skin depth has been taken account of, but I can't confirm that the values predicted fit with other methods of arriving at total "resistance".

Status
Not open for further replies.