Sowter transformer 8347 I/V stage fot TDA1543

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I've built a DAC based on a CS8412 and a tower of TDA1545 (8).

I was planning to put a transformer I/V stage with a Sowter 8347.

All is working when I put just one transformer on one of the TDA1545 output but no sound when I put the two transformer on the two channels !

Is somebody have tried this before ?

I think that Audionote have made the same thing.

Kind regards

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,591
Thank you for your replies all.

The thing I do not understand is that when I just connect one channel output of the TDA1543, all is working. Tight bass, clear high, really sound great ! But, with the two channels output connected (so the two transformer connected at tht two TDA output) no sound at all ! Just noise ...

hi,

let me share a little bit opinin. My new full balance dac will use.

1.transformers IV.
2.Op-amp>>>>> transformers output.
3. OP-amp>>> 5687 cathode follower>>> caps OUTPUT.
4. Op-amp>>>>5687 cathode follower>>> transformers output.

this is the first op-amp link with transformer output.
pls see the photo show with the connection method between OP & transformer.

Transformers that I use was 1+1:1+1 10ma Max

thx

thomas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's true PHN. This doesn't explain at all why this really good work with just one channel.

I have seen too at th Sowter website that I could use a 25 ohm resistor, but what about TDA1543 ?

I have seen too at Sowter that this transformer has been designed for output with a DC component (current or voltage), so I am correct by connecting these transformers without a DC blocking cap ?

I have tried with one and all is working ! All two channels but there is a terrible lack of bass !...

Is Sowter making bad transformers that doesn't support DC offset ?

hi elec-tron2,

sorry to distrub U,

That's true PHN. This doesn't explain at all why this really good work with just one channel.

I have seen too at th Sowter website that I could use a 25 ohm resistor, but what about TDA1543 ?

I have seen too at Sowter that this transformer has been designed for output with a DC component (current or voltage), so I am correct by connecting these transformers without a DC blocking cap ?

I have tried with one and all is working ! All two channels but there is a terrible lack of bass !...

Is Sowter making bad transformers that doesn't support DC offset ?

U said lack of bass was talk sowter or my connect?

pls make sure sowter can run dc. Otherwise the core will saturate. I also test 8347f, if pass current looks not good. In my design & est. although I use 1+1:1+1, but this is not a Push Pull ytans. It is a SE trans, can pass Dc. so change Resistors on the pri & sec can adj te sound.

thx

thomas

hi elec-tron2,

U use 8 pcs of 1541a??

sorry I hadn't careful read your message.

Pls use back one 1541a first. I also try this sowter but looks this transformers cannot running any current, pls use a small cap to block the DC, such as phn said, adj the resistors between pri & sec can easy to test. during I test my dac, I also use two fine turn to trim the resistors value. If U had scope to compare will much better.

pls trust Brian sowter, he will not sell fake & Damn transformers
But this transformers was little weak in bass was right. That why I finally use large core to made the IV trans & pre-amp trans.

thx

thomas

I was wrong about the 200mA. Should be 20mA!

Anyway, I don't think the transformers can handle more than one TDA1543.

Sowter says:
PEAK SIGNAL CURRENT (with 25 ohm resistor): +/- 2.0 mA

The Burr-Brown PCM67 (one of the DACs the transformers were designed for) datasheet says:
ANALOG OUTPUT: Output Range (±3%) 1.2 mA

The TDA1543 has about twice that.

Hello tube-lover

I am using 8 pcs of TDA1543 but like PHN said, I have changed this afternoon to just 1 pcs of TDA1543.

But always not sound at all with the transformer.

I know that Brian SOWTER doesn't sell fake transformer and I know that they are considered as good transformer.

I am not able to get sound with that ! With nlocking cap there is a lack of bass ! And a strange think is that this has worked with 8 pcs of TDA1543 but with just one channel output connected to one transformer. When I connect the two transformer, sound disappear and let place to noise...

With just one TDA, no sound at all, even with just one TDA1543.

I was thinking that most DIYers have tried this I/V stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.