Soundstream D200 II or KW KAC-719 - which is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First post here, so please go easy on me. I need some help deciding which components to use in a build I'm planning.

I've been doing some reading on this site and others and have realized that my old Soundstream D200 II is a jewel. Back in the early 90's I used it to power 4 10" subs, and am now looking to add two subs to my new car. I'm not a bass head anymore, but rather than buy a new single sub I'm just going to use 2 old 12" Rockford Fosgate subs (RFZ1812 - never used) I have sitting around. They're 8ohms each and I'll wire them parallel.

I think the Soundstream would put out 200Wx1 @4ohms, or possibly 240Wx1 @4ohms, I'm not sure which since the manual mentions both. Also I'm not sure if that is max or RMS power (or if that even applies to this amp!). If I use this amp I'll need some sort of crossover, so if you think this would be a good setup, please recommend a good, inexpensive crossover that would be suited to this purpose.

On the other hand I also have a Kenwood KAC-719. The manual states 300Wx1 @4ohms max, and 150Wx1 @4ohms "rated" power. It has a built-in low-pass filter, so that would eliminate the need for a separate crossover. But is this amp even comparable to the D200 II? Or does it really matter for a subwoofer application?

Please help clear my confusion! Thanks!

The Soundstream is an awesome amp. but the power supply is lacking. it is best suited to full range duty. it might sound a bit anemic for sub duty and honestly it would be a bit wasted there.

I am not familiar with the KW amp. but it sounds like it would be a better choice.

Thanks for the input! I know I read elsewhere on here that the original D200 had a weak power supply, but I thought that was one of the things that was improved with series 2 (which is what I have)? Or is it better, but still weak?

I guess in the end I can try them both out and see which one I prefer. I'm tempted to expand my project just so I can make use of the D200 II in a full range application instead!;)

With all due respect ZC, if the 719 is anything like previous KAC-7XX (721, etc) models, the SS would be a better choice in any application.

However, if your system will require 2 amps... the SS would also be a better choice for mid/high, and in that role would cover many more octaves than just the lowest 2-3.

If you have both amps anyway, try them both and share your opinions here for the benefit of others!

As always -my well-biased opinion only, YMMV, etc.

I think I will try both. Now, I just have to find a way to filter the SS. I have a cheap Pyramid crossover, but I'm afraid it might add noise to the signal. Maybe if I don't use the bass boost feature it will be ok.

It will be a while before I'm able to post the results -- I'm building a fiberglass box for this and it's going to take me a while.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.