Soundstream D200 II or KW KAC-719 - which is better?

convert

2010-09-21 6:41 pm
First post here, so please go easy on me. I need some help deciding which components to use in a build I'm planning.

I've been doing some reading on this site and others and have realized that my old Soundstream D200 II is a jewel. Back in the early 90's I used it to power 4 10" subs, and am now looking to add two subs to my new car. I'm not a bass head anymore, but rather than buy a new single sub I'm just going to use 2 old 12" Rockford Fosgate subs (RFZ1812 - never used) I have sitting around. They're 8ohms each and I'll wire them parallel.

I think the Soundstream would put out 200Wx1 @4ohms, or possibly 240Wx1 @4ohms, I'm not sure which since the manual mentions both. Also I'm not sure if that is max or RMS power (or if that even applies to this amp!). If I use this amp I'll need some sort of crossover, so if you think this would be a good setup, please recommend a good, inexpensive crossover that would be suited to this purpose.

On the other hand I also have a Kenwood KAC-719. The manual states 300Wx1 @4ohms max, and 150Wx1 @4ohms "rated" power. It has a built-in low-pass filter, so that would eliminate the need for a separate crossover. But is this amp even comparable to the D200 II? Or does it really matter for a subwoofer application?

Please help clear my confusion! Thanks!

Zero Cool

Paid Member
2004-09-20 6:10 am
MN
The Soundstream is an awesome amp. but the power supply is lacking. it is best suited to full range duty. it might sound a bit anemic for sub duty and honestly it would be a bit wasted there.

I am not familiar with the KW amp. but it sounds like it would be a better choice.

convert

Thanks for the input! I know I read elsewhere on here that the original D200 had a weak power supply, but I thought that was one of the things that was improved with series 2 (which is what I have)? Or is it better, but still weak?

I guess in the end I can try them both out and see which one I prefer. I'm tempted to expand my project just so I can make use of the D200 II in a full range application instead!;)

With all due respect ZC, if the 719 is anything like previous KAC-7XX (721, etc) models, the SS would be a better choice in any application.

However, if your system will require 2 amps... the SS would also be a better choice for mid/high, and in that role would cover many more octaves than just the lowest 2-3.

If you have both amps anyway, try them both and share your opinions here for the benefit of others!

As always -my well-biased opinion only, YMMV, etc.

convert

I think I will try both. Now, I just have to find a way to filter the SS. I have a cheap Pyramid crossover, but I'm afraid it might add noise to the signal. Maybe if I don't use the bass boost feature it will be ok.

It will be a while before I'm able to post the results -- I'm building a fiberglass box for this and it's going to take me a while.