Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Perhaps something like this for the VFET FE? It's a start at least...

Attachments

• vfet_is_dimensions.jpg
    vfet_is_dimensions.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 607
...just two small questions luvdunhill,

1- Different values for source resistors on output is your effort for tighter matching ?

2 - How long is main board ?....i am halfway to building a chassis and was counting on two pairs a side so now i am hopping this still fits.

Carlos

I am allowing for source resistors, they aren't present on the official VFET2 schematic. They will need to be jumpered with a bit of wire if not used. The article says they aren't needed and the lack causes some nice benefits, but with the extra device (3 deep) it seemed wise. I am open to removing them, but definitely wanted a prototype board to have the option.

All my posts should have dimensions on them - the width is on this very page.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Finally getting this project off the ground. Thanks to Botte and Flocchini for their help in building this project, and La Ode for the board layout.

Here is a video link to the working prototype.
Some production boards will need to be respun to add a wire to the output board and to eliminate the TO-220 bipolar in the front end, also to use wider spacing for TO-92 TL431.

https://youtu.be/kWSlbYg01pQ

Also viewable/listenable on instagram @emojiviasound

Here's the VFET2 Front End. I'm trying a different board house for this than the output stage (PCB Way versus Elecrow). Just put the order in for the front-end and the output stage already shipped from PCB Way.

Attachments

• vfet2_fe_oshpark.png
    vfet2_fe_oshpark.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 687
  • vfet2_fe_top.jpg
    vfet2_fe_top.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 675
  • vfet2_fe_schem.jpg
    vfet2_fe_schem.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 678
  • vfet2_fe_block.jpg
    vfet2_fe_block.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 642
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Congrats Tea-Bag.

Was there a heatsink attached to the bracket? (Maybe I missed it.)
How large/thick is that bracket you used?

Cheers,
Dennis

HI Dennis, Not attached yet to a larger heatsink. Its thick enough to run at a low bias for 30 minutes or so.

I believe Botte set me up with getting this bracket from the US. (I cant seem to find resource) It is a very thick bracket, that the PINS barely make it to the PCB. Something a little thinner I think would work well once attached to the heatsink. I will set up a seperate thread for the board soon.
I would not take this on without a half-decent drill press. A cordless one, unless your gifted is not going to make anything line up right. All the holes are drilled with plenty of space around them, and then covered a little teflon sleeve covers the pins where possible.
I would not call this a novice project at all, unfortunately.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Attached is the bracket I had made, and which I am using to revise the board.
It has been provided to DIYAudio for the purpose of the kit, and they are in
charge of having them made.

I expect to have working units in the Store chassis around the end of Feb.

:cool:

Attachments

• DIY BRACKET.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 690
Attached is the bracket I had made, and which I am using to revise the board.
It has been provided to DIYAudio for the purpose of the kit, and they are in
charge of having them made.

I expect to have working units in the Store chassis around the end of Feb.

:cool:

Thanks Mr Pass for last kit update informations.
Great i have complete all front end components and vfets so
i stay in tune for other news about final simplified one pair mono Vfet2 amplifier version.
Could DiyAudio Store sell official pcb's only ?
This option give more chances afford some as well for diyers without vfets on bench.
Kind regards :happy1: