Sony SA-W303 Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Must've been a tiny screwdriver...I hardly have any room to put the screwdriver in! I'll work on it and post back when/if I can get the panel off. Thanks for posting!

it was Actually a Pretty Normal Sized Screwdriver...but i had to Force it in the Seam where the Enclosure and Plastic Front Meet and Wedge it in and Push Up.

it will Scuff the Enclosure and Plastic Front Panel a Bit.

Those Bose subs are definitely BP2's. I still want to know why Sony calls their box a Super Acoustic Woofer.

Not Sure what its Called but i Found a PDF File on Sony's Website for the SA-W305/W303

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SAW305.PDF

The Manual States Practical Maximum Output for Both is Right at 50 Hz...so they are Really More of Bass Modules than Subwoofers...Hence why there called Super Acoustic Woofer.

I finally got it open (I know I'm pretty late, but things just piled up). It's ~6.7 in diameter, so yeah, a 7" would be fine. There's also TONS of room in the box, so just about any depth would fit as well. It looks like a real easy job
I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from PE, and since I'm getting free shipping, I think I'm going to go with that driver Cokewithlime posted earlier (Dayton RS180S-8 7" Reference Shielded Woofer 8 Ohm | Parts-Express.com). I'll post back when it's all set up and going and do a comparison :)

Here's a picture of it without the grill on by the way. It gives a better picture of the port:
Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/jwmg0795j

Thanks for all the help guys!

I finally got it open (I know I'm pretty late, but things just piled up). It's ~6.7 in diameter, so yeah, a 7" would be fine. There's also TONS of room in the box, so just about any depth would fit as well. It looks like a real easy job
I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from PE, and since I'm getting free shipping, I think I'm going to go with that driver Cokewithlime posted earlier (Dayton RS180S-8 7" Reference Shielded Woofer 8 Ohm | Parts-Express.com). I'll post back when it's all set up and going and do a comparison :)

Here's a picture of it without the grill on by the way. It gives a better picture of the port:
Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/jwmg0795j

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just Curious...but Why would you use a Dayton Reference 7" Woofer in a Subwoofer Enclosure?

seems it has enough excursion for the Application...but its not Really a Sub.

also another issue...with the amounts of air subs move wont air leak out from the gap around the phase plug?

Just Curious...but Why would you use a Dayton Reference 7" Woofer in a Subwoofer Enclosure?

seems it has enough excursion for the Application...but its not Really a Sub.

also another issue...with the amounts of air subs move wont air leak out from the gap around the phase plug?

In fact Sony themselves do not call the box a "Sub" their description is as an Active Super Woofer - the F3 of the system only goes down to 30Hz which in more than enough for music but obviously not what one would think of as a sub for HT.

The OP target was to improve the SQ of this little box for music (not HT) - by going with a higher efficiency, low distortion driver like the Dayton it will allow the OP to get the most out of the low power amp (50W) that is provided in the box

Last edited:
With a 6.5" driver, I sincerely doubt that F3 is around 30 Hz. More likely somewhere between 40 and 50 Hz.

The Sony i had didn't output anything Real Signifigant below 50

the PDF Manual i read even implied 50 Hz was the Tuning Frequency.

The Port Makes Terrible,Terrible Wind Noise around the Tuning Frequency.

and you can hear the woofer unloading on loud passages below that.

In fact Sony themselves do not call the box a "Sub" their description is as an Active Super Woofer - the F3 of the system only goes down to 30Hz which in more than enough for music but obviously not what one would think of as a sub for HT.

The OP target was to improve the SQ of this little box for music (not HT) - by going with a higher efficiency, low distortion driver like the Dayton it will allow the OP to get the most out of the low power amp (50W) that is provided in the box

Id Use a Tangband 6.5" since its Specifically a Subwoofer Driver but to each his own.

The 6.5" TB sub is horrifically inefficient. It has low resonance, lots of excursion, and is small. Efficiency must suffer, and it does. 50w isn't enough for such a driver.

my Sony which has a power consumption of 35 Watts (So the Amp must be like 25 watts or less)

it had enough power to sufficently Push my TB 8" Neodymium Sub to Decent Levels.

so i would like to think 50 Watts of the SA-W305 would be sufficent to push the smaller 6.5" to decent enough levels.

I Even connected the Amp to a 10" JVC Woofer with a extremely stiff suspension.

Well it's all installed, but unfortunately, I can't say the results were so good. The port makes a very obnoxious sound whenever it goes ~40hz and lower. Otherwise, it sounds much, much better than the Sony sub. Maybe if I took out the port, it would sound better?

EDIT: I actually took out the internal plastic port piece and it got rid of the sound. It peaks a little bit up higher, but otherwise it sounds pretty good.

Thanks Cokewithlime for the driver choice, and thanks everyone for their input and help! I will post some pictures later tonight!

Last edited:
You can try any or all of three things to try to smooth out the resonance peak.

1. Add some acoustical stuffing to the inside of the box, just make sure it doesn't touch the back of the woofer.

2, Add some stuffing in the port opening

3. Temporally block the port completely

If any/all improve what you are hearing then make the changes permanent.

That Dayton driver (within the limitations of the Sony amp in the box) should play a fair bit louder and certainly a lot cleaner(less distortion)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.