Something to lighten the mood

Pharisäer (Pharisee)

about 0.04 l rum
1 cup of freshly brewed coffee
sugar at will
Whipped cream on top
Cocoa powder for decoration

Hot Cocoa with whipped cream for the kids :)

Looks way beyond my level. What the heck is 0.04 l? :confused:

I am getting my 12-y-o great nephews this useful gadget for Christmas.

Hope their Mum doesn't find out. Her young son Benjamin claims already to have hacked his Dad's Bank Account online. I am sure they have located his vast stock of Club Haig Whisky in the cellar too. :eek:

Attachments

• Measuring Mug.jpg
    Measuring Mug.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 134
004 l is 40 ml, 1 fluid oz. is 30 ml or so.

I gave up drinking long back.
Maybe once a year, I have some some expensive Scotch, or a rare brandy.

Actually, India sells more Scotch as blended and fake, apart from legal imports, than is actually made in Scotland.
Even used bottles are reused, and the seals on those are works of art.
Most people do not know what real Scotch tastes like, especially the expensive ones. So the fake sellers get away with it.
We have a tradition of drinking before food, with spicy snacks. After the first few drinks, the fake bottles are used in bars and parties, it becomes hard to tell as the senses are dulled.
Western people drink after food, or with it, so the absorption into the blood is slow.

Glenmoragie was 260 pounds a bottle, Glenfiddich and Islay Mist were expensive too. That was in 2019, no idea of the current prices.

Bagpiper, the largest selling whisky brand in the world, is about 5 quid for 0.75 liters.

Last edited:
Whisky is measured in fingers in the UK. A useful measure.

Distance is measured in Chains. The length of a Cricket Pitch.

Horses are measured in Hands. We all have them. :D

My lovely Niece Clare is quite the one for giving her offspring POSH names. Dreams of them going to Oxford or Cambridge, earning Top Degrees and becoming (God Forbid!) Prime Minister, and generally setting the World alight. Dream on, IMO!

Named the twins William and Benjamin. Whatever was she thinking of? :confused:

I never mention this to her these days, but I fell about laughing. Bill and Ben? The Flowerpot Men. :D

"No, Steve, it's William and Benjamin!"

Much as I love them, I still find it difficult to take them seriously. :)

Attachments

• Bill and Ben.jpg
    Bill and Ben.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 120

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....Anybody think how much Johnny Walker sells in a year? ... Where are the storages, where 12 years worth of whisky in barrels are kept before being bottled? ...And the 21 year and 50 year vintages sometimes sold?...

You could look it up.

Johnnie Walker has "ghost" barrels, from producers who went broke in the 1970s. They use it in premium blends.

Jack Daniels (and others) gives tours of barrel houses. Actually I wonder if the tour is a retired and cleaned-up old shack, it looks far too clean and neat, and far too small.
Gallery of Jack Daniel’s Barrel House 1-14 / Clickspring Design - 1

Big warehouses must be big. Barton 1792 is not even a major brand, had near 20k barrels sleeping, and the place fell down. Killed near a thousand fish too.
2 weeks ago, half a bourbon warehouse collapsed. Now, the other half is down | CNN
They seem to have 3 or 4 similar houses in the same area.
VIDEO: Aerials of collapsed Barton 1792 Distillery warehouse | whas11.com

Buffalo Trace, another 'small' 'shiner, is making shacks for over 1 million aging whiskey barrels.
Buffalo Trace Distillery's new warehouses help bring inventory to 1 million barrels of aging whiskey

45k barrels of Jim Beam burned, which is only a drop in their production.
Fire destroys Jim Beam warehouse, bourbon flows into river

Last edited:
I can scarcely keep up with all the interesting excitement of My Life on Earth. Surely no finer Planet to Live on? :D

Consider my latest Mission to stagger into the Local Tesco Store in search of more Red Wine.

On the way, a rather short Woman, Maria, who I think is sweet on me, greeted me. "Hi, Steve, off to The Pub?"

"No, I explained, just topping up on Blossom Hill Red Wine!" :rolleyes:

(God Forbid, she learns I have arranged to go swimming with neighbourhood hottie Joy next week....". I could be in trouble... :eek:)

Anywhoo, seems our UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson has decided to desert Britain. "Rats desert the Sinking Ship" as we all know.

Next thing I know, my good friend Alan is knocking on my window.

"Ullo Boy!"

Seems he needed a hand with Tonight's Sleeping Accomodation.

Two Man Job. Now sorted, "Dormez Bien!" as us multilinguists say. :)

Attachments

• Boris Flies Out!.jpg
    Boris Flies Out!.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Local Vagrant Alan.jpg
    Local Vagrant Alan.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 436
Sherry barrels, 600 liters, 0.6 cubic meters.
So 2.5 million barrels if sherry sized used for storing Scotch whisky.

Regular wine barrels, 0.225 cubic meters.
or about 6,666,666 barrels of Scotch in storage.

Jim Beam stores 3.3 million barrels in 126 warehouses in Kentucky, apparently.

Last edited: