Something to lighten the mood

I remember him as a puppy, and as he has grown, I noticed I have too. Our hair colour, eye sight and hearing might have changed a bit but we soldier on.
Right Bingo?

Attachments

• DSC00523.jpg
    DSC00523.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00544.jpg
    DSC00544.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 135
Yup. The desire to travel is another reason we haven't adopted again. We always needed a sitter when we visited family. Our dogs loved to travel, especially to the snow. But finding dog friendly accommodations is sometimes a challenge.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 128
Yes. It was one of our favorite places to take our dogs. They loved romping in the snow during the winter and running in the meadows during the summer and fall.

I have history in McCloud. It's where my parents met when my dad sneaked into CA on a freight train during the Great Depression.

Attachments

• shasta0403.jpg
    shasta0403.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 131
Cal, you are quite the comedian. The photo was taken almost 20 years ago when we were all close to our prime. :)

I wondered the same thing about the bird. I also wondered how many times the bird had previously watched the researcher lock up the seed. I know I probably couldn't unlock it that fast after only one viewing!

It's a beautiful, warm day in the neighborhood here in Napa. I've been enjoying reading and observing the juvenile Mockingbird that must have a nest nearby. A couple of scrub jays made an appearance as well.

With things things I have done, at age 57 I am hoping to realize my prime still. The way I feel though tells me I might have missed that mark a decade or so ago. Nowadays I look forward to not hitting my head as I close the door and not tripping once again on the stairs.
I also look forward to kissing my wife passionately at least once a day. That was a bit of advice I got many moons ago and I hope that I never forget it. :)

Here is something that uses very clever engineering to create pure visual magic: YouTube

Notice how the levers slow down and pivot angles at just the right moments to set the ball delicately down onto the track, and pick it up equally delicately? That is an amazingly sophisticated mechanical linkage, designed by a very smart person!

-Gnobuddy

You might also like Theo Jansens' "Strandbeests", wind-powered machines he constructs out of very ordinary materials (mostly PVC pipe), machines that walk with eerie smoothness: YouTube

Most mechanical walking machines thump awkwardly along and quickly shake themselves to pieces, or move very, very slowly to avoid that fate. I remember reading that Jansen managed to get that smooth walking action for his Strandbeests after lots of computer fine-tuning of the exact lengths and pivot points of the mechanical linkage that forms the "legs" of the "beests". In the end he found an incredibly good solution to a very difficult mechanical engineering problem. What an amazing engineer!

I expect computers were also involved in the design of the "ball drop sculpture" machinery. The movements are almost supernaturally smooth and give the illusion of a sentient being carefully performing a delicate task. I don't think an unassisted human brain could ever have designed those linkages to be so incredibly perfect.

Which doesn't make them any less amazing - lesser mortals would never have invented these things, computers or not!

-Gnobuddy

I’ve always enjoyed making rudimentary linkages perform well in their applications, some strange thing I have going on.
I’ll have a look at the walking sculptures...

Thanks for passing that along here, I liked the centipede looking one.

Last edited: