Something to lighten the mood

I see no brakes - is it a fixed-gear bike?
You probably reverse pedal rotation to brake.

I've taken one short ride on a bike like that, in middle school, and it nearly killed me. Frantically feeling for the non-existent brake handles, I sailed off the edge of a steep plateau, down the children's slide, into and across the kids sand-pit, across a ditch on the far side, and into a field of some kind of tall scratchy plants, expecting to fall over and break bones any second.

Never again!

-Gnobuddy

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I believe you. I've known more than one keen recreational distance cyclist who preferred old-fashioned steel frames. They are heavy, yes, but a steel fork has a little give in it, and doesn't beat you up as much as a modern ultra-stiff carbon fibre fork does.

T

I've just retired a 1986 753 frame which I loved. It just rode 'right'. As a change I've gone to Al frame with CF fork. the change is nice. Not ridden a CF frame since my 1996 vintage TREK was stolen, but back then CF was quite floppy. Swapping from one to the other every 6 months was fun at the first roundabout. I'd over steer on the steel frame after the carbon one :)

New bike cost more than my last car.. But I do drive well used second hand cars :)

Bob's steel bike reminds me of the flip side. Back in the late 80s, someone in my family bought an aluminium Cannondale frame with large tubing that was light and super stiff.
Dad got tired of it and gave it to a kid who would pass it to another after they got tired of it. Seems a stiff frame is not really so nice. Frame needs some give to be comfortable.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You probably reverse pedal rotation to brake. I've taken one short ride on a bike like that,.., and it nearly killed me....

If you were older, you would remember when ALL (US/Can) bikes were coaster-brake. (Yeah, one rich kid had an English "racer", but most parents would not know where to look.) Hand brake only on motorcycles, maybe. And Schwinn had a torture test with a 300+pound worker on a very long hill, which would embarrass most non-Schwinn coaster brakes. This was entirely adequate for a 50 pound single-gear machine. My best hand-brakes have never felt as secure as a good coaster.

I believe you. I've known more than one keen recreational distance cyclist who preferred old-fashioned steel frames. They are heavy, yes, but a steel fork has a little give in it, and doesn't beat you up as much as a modern ultra-stiff carbon fibre fork does.

I've somehow ended up with 3.5 steel frame bikes...
The 0.5 is a frame + some parts, is a On-One Pompino,very nice baby-blue, never touched by human hands.

"Steel is real" is the term some of us nutcases use.
My favourite is the On-One "Inbred" sort of custom singlespeed thing I put together myself, one Surly Ice Cream Truck (nickname: my tractor :D), one Surly Krampus.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have a 2006-ish Argon 18 CF that is definitely not floppy.:)

jeff

There were huge improvements in CF over that decade. Here is my new ride. This was built for commuting all year round, so built for abuse. I resisted disks this time, but may upgrade.

Sorry I don't have a cute animal to put in front of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 158
To add to the bicycle gallery, I attach an image of a Raleigh Kandara all terrain bike (ATB) similar to the one which I own.

It was bought around 30 years ago when I was younger and fitter and thought nothing of cycling alone in the Perthshire hills with only the occasional golden eagle for company!

Quick specs: Hand built in Nottingham, England. Reynolds 501 chromium-molybdenum (CrMo) steel frame. Reynolds Technology - Wikipedia 21 speed Shimano gears. Oval chain ring (bio pace).

P.S. The front forks carry the legend 'Finite Response Blades'. I think that means there is no 'give' in them!

Attachments

• Raleigh Kandara.JPG
    Raleigh Kandara.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Perthshire Hills.JPG
    Perthshire Hills.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 158
Undoubtedly, the most memorable Raleigh bicycle is the 'Chopper'.

Designer Alan Oakley based the look on Peter Fonda’s motorbike in the classic ‘60s movie Easy Rider.

Launched in the UK in the run up to Christmas 1969, within a decade Raleigh had sold 1.5 million Choppers - even though it represented a hefty outlay for parents, equivalent to £350 today.

Attachments

• Raleigh Chopper.jpg
    Raleigh Chopper.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 154