Some speaker driver measurements...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Probably nothing other than the chamber stuffing. Neither have impedance plot similar to what Hificompass measured, so unit to unit consistency may not be great, but we'd need to see at least an impedance plot of more than 1 unit to confirm that.
Hificompass has the original SBA datasheet hosted on his website. The impedance and frequency responses are different, as Marvelaudio mentioned.

Is it enough to save this 2.5" dome in 5" faceplate? I dunno...

Reactions: 1 users
Audioxpress/Voice Coil magazine has announced to test the 60mm midrange dome from SB Acoustics in their latest AUGUST issue ... let's hope it will be the improved version!

What I would like to see is the usage of a non-conductive former for the voice coil made of Kapton or Titanium metal foil (provides some cooling)!

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
It looks better than the original, or preliminary datasheet.

Good dispersion to 3Khz (@45 degrees, only -2dB down)

He measures on a 15x6" baffle this time, which is great thanks for letting us know what happens on a real baffle (yes that dip at 3KHz is baffle diffraction effect) but Vance why did you only show use distortion (which is very good) down to 1KHz .

I'd like to know the lower limit- how close can it get to eg. 500Hz?

Last edited:
Maybe this driver is designed for hornloading ... btw before buying how does one know if it is the old or new version?
Why do you think there is a 'new' version? The one hificompass tested was a production model, but the datasheet was for a prototype, and he noted the discrepancy. Quite likely all they did was update the preliminary datasheet to the final production dome numbers.

I just read the review, not the most useful one I've seen in VC. Distortion measurements only taken down to 1khz for a midrange? :unsure:

It does show the same hump in H3 ~1.1khz that Hificompass measured, so I'd bet the H5 hump is still there as well. The impedance peak is sharp and even higher than the 'sample b' hificompass measured, maybe ~490hz or something. A ways off from the 'new' datasheet value of 400hz.

I have 2 PDFs , one saying Prototype Data and is marked as Rev.0 (06.05.2019) and the other is the actual one from their website stating NEW / NEW PRODUCT in big fat RED letters! (dated as Rev.5 25.02.2022)

https://sbacoustics.com/product/2-5in-satori-md60n-6-fabric/

draw your own conclusions from that ...

Fair enough; my conclusion is that there was a preliminary datasheet and a final datasheet, all for one product. The product appears to have some QC problems with the damping of the rear chamber. It isn't sold in matched pairs, so you'd be wise to ensure you can measure and deal with inter-sample variance if you plan to use it in a passive speaker. To me, it seems like wishful thinking to hope there's a new, much-improved version of this driver on the market, absent any evidence other than two versions of a datasheet, one of which is clearly marked prototype.

Reactions: 1 user
The impedance peak is sharp and even higher than the 'sample b' hificompass measured, maybe ~490hz or something. A ways off from the 'new' datasheet value of 400hz.
They should have just gone with a large well damped rear chamber, no struggle in production with that, and probably not much differing in driver performance over the resonant tube.

I suppose I should be thrilled that Fs is off by only 90Hz, I have four Morel EM1308, Fs in the datasheet is 320Hz, reality is 600Hz+., and unfortunately the chamber in the Morel is glued shut, so there's no ability to modify or adjust the damping without destructive modification.

They should have just gone with a large well damped rear chamber, no struggle in production with that, and probably not much differing in driver performance over the resonant tube.

I suppose I should be thrilled that Fs is off by only 90Hz, I have four Morel EM1308, Fs in the datasheet is 320Hz, reality is 600Hz+., and unfortunately the chamber in the Morel is glued shut, so there's no ability to modify or adjust the damping without destructive modification.

Wow, that's quite the discrepancy! I must admit I've not measured enough large domes to know; are mid domes out of spec this way more often than tweeters? I would have thought the margin for error on tweeter back chamber damping would be smaller, hence the error rate would be higher.

Some more stuff : https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/munich-2019-sb-acoustics-room.338853/

Excerpt from bottom of 1st page , by designer Ulrik Schmidt :

@Pida; as mentioned above, the flange OD is 130 mm. However, the faceplate and/or rear chamber can easily be removed without anything falling apart or risking any damage to the driver - the butterfly assembly stays fixed/clamped and there is a stainless steel mesh covering the pole vent hole that leads into the chamber. We deliberately made it a versatile mechanical design. This make it suitable for rear mounting into a waveguide or you can put a different faceplate or chamber on it if you want to (the chamber is quite tricky, though). This also allows us to ship the raw/basic driver to customers (i.e. without faceplate or chamber mounted) - the retail version remains a fully assembled driver, of course.

Audioxpress/Voice Coil magazine has announced to test the 60mm midrange dome from SB Acoustics in their latest AUGUST issue ... let's hope it will be the improved version!

What I would like to see is the usage of a non-conductive former for the voice coil made of Kapton or Titanium metal foil (provides some cooling)!
Test Bench is one of the most intriguing high-frequency drivers from SB Acoustics' high-end Satori line, the MD60N-6 2.5” Dome Midrange. This is another product designed by Danesian Audio of Denmark, which has contributed to the excellent reputation for high-end home applications offered by Indonesian-based Sinar Baja Electric, marketed under the SB Acoustics Satori brand. The MD60N-6 is a soft dome midrange that features a non-resonant coated cloth 2.5" diameter diaphragm and surround, a 60.5mm diameter voice coil wound with round copper wire on a vented aluminum voice coil former. The motor system consists of a large neodymium ring magnet with a low carbon content steel return, incorporating a dynamic dome stabilizer and flow resistor, which takes the form of a 1mm thick perforated dome-shaped aluminum grille that sits underneath the soft-dome. There is also an injection-molded back-closed transmission line enclosure, filled with Thinsulate damping, mounted directly on the back side, covering its entire surface.

Traced on-axis SPLs from the factory sheet and from the VC magazine (both 2.83V/1m).

Attachments

• SB MD60N.png
    SB MD60N.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 141