Solid state phono preamp design philosophy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am slowly continuing with the proto. There is an LT1028 at 1st position.

Attachments

• phono_01_s.jpg
    phono_01_s.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,449
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Interesting graphs Pavel.

Its for this reason that I now favour fully active RIAA. I have done some sims, and with active/passive EQ, the best I can get off +-15V rails is about 200mV overload at 20KHz - and it will be worse ay higher frequencies. In the other hand, active EQ gives me 700mV at 20KHz.

I also took a look at the load on the op-amp output. Its doable at 20KHz, but if you take alook at 50KHz (considereing the clicks and pops just like you show above), the EQ network demands >30mA. Ugly. For this reason, active EQ network in an active RIAA needs to be driven by a GOOD BUFFER enclosed within the EQ amp feedback loop.

The loss of headroom on active/passive EQ is 18dB. I checked it on the sim. The problem with this is that it easily drives the EQ amp into saturation at HF, but you then need time to recover, and this will affect the sound.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.