Solid state phono preamp design philosophy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: MicroCap

Please note, that
the design I posted is an active / passive mix. Active bass boost, and then passive HF roll-off.

Ib is also very much heat dependant. Less rails, less heat, even less Ib. Good if you want to force the AD745 into class A.

Sigurd

peranders said:

The first opamp should have as high supply voltage as possible if you want to have a passive correction. Ib is rather uninteresting, surely?

Jam -

the RIAA in the schematic minus the JFET buffer and minus the servos has already been built about a year ago. Using separate super shunt regulators for each channel, and an R-core transformer. But with the same higher rails for all OPamps (AD745K + some other OPamp).

Instad of a DC servo, I used trim pots to take down the DC offset.
The input impedance following the RIAA was known so the components were decided with this in mind.

Resistors were all TX2352 nude Vishays, and RIAA-caps were all film and foil PS caps. Both Opamps decoupled with BG N and NX HiQ caps.

Sonically, the sound was almost as good as an all-JFET RIAA (with series regulators). Bass was even better but treble not as smooth as the JFET RIAA.

This time, I would like to be able to use any load (= line amplifier), and not have the trim pots but servo(s) instead.

Nothing special about the RIAA, IMO, but it is in the chosen components and powersupply the good sound quality come from.

We used this adapter (designed by me and Per-Anders) for the RIAA:

Sigurd

jam said:
Sigrud,

What phono pre is that you are building?

Jam

Attachments

• adp04 nr003-2.jpg
    adp04 nr003-2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 699
Sigurd,

Nice looking adaptor board, did you post the schematic of the all fet RIAA or is it the Borbely design?

I suppose the shunt regulators were an were better than the series regulators but were they noiser?Maybe they account for the difference in the bass quality? Good project.

Jam

Jam -

the adaptor boards are great when one quickly wants to compare different OPamps in DIL8 (we made some SOIC adapter boards aswell with the same possibility to have decoupling caps of most types of caps on the adaptor board together with a GND wire to main ground.)

I do not think that the series regulators were more noisy. On the contrary.

My thought about the difference in bass sonics is due to the use of JFETs. I wonder, can an OPamp have better bass performance than a JFET-buffer?

I do not want to tell what th JFET RIAA amp was.

SIgurd

jam said:
Sigurd,

Nice looking adaptor board, did you post the schematic of the all fet RIAA or is it the Borbely design?

I suppose the shunt regulators were an were better than the series regulators but were they noiser?Maybe they account for the difference in the bass quality? Good project.

Jam

Sigurd Ruschkow said:
PMA -

have you listened to your RIAA?

Maybe you could post listening comparisons of the different OPamps together with measurements?

Sigurd

Listening tests will take place in some 2 weeks. I am waiting for housing, as I do not want to run listening tests with unshielded PCB. Though it has groundplane, it is not sufficient shielding.

REL capacitors Film and Foil PS caps are available up to 3uF; the RTX series which is film and tin foil. Their RT serie goes up to 470n.
All from Percy Audio.

Attached is a photo of a 226nF and a 100nF RIFA PS cap.
You will aslo see a 2u2 WIMA cap.

SIgurd

Lumba Ogir said:
Sigurd,
220nF polystyrene? Do you have a picture?

Attachments

• 226n and 100n.jpg
    226n and 100n.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 989
Not the soundcard, my noise floor for given setup is about -135dB.

You have not added any resistor noise to your LT1028 estimation, have you? You really know how much noise is for 100ohm, I guess .:D

With the resistors used, the measurement fits quite well, there is a 6dB difference which indicates to some 2.6nV/rt for LT1028 + resistor network.

Attachments

• 1028.gif
    1028.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 941
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.