Soekris: Sonics? Comparisons to? & Other Stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right now I don't think there's a $4000 dac on the market that beats it for resolution and musical engagement.

Mark

I have the Ares R2R dac and Soekris 1021 and I would say Ares can easily match the Soekris sound and cost a lot less than 4k.
I would also say my other DS dac using battery and passive transformer out can complete with Soekris and cost even less.
But that's just my opinion and taste.:D
And I am sure there are other excellent sounding dacs if you do a search in this forum or this thread.;)

I have the Ares R2R dac and Soekris 1021 and I would say Ares can easily match the Soekris sound and cost a lot less than 4k.
I would also say my other DS dac using battery and passive transformer out can complete with Soekris and cost even less.
And I am sure there are other excellent sounding dacs if you do a search in this forum or this thread.;)

Very interesting. I was just reading about those Denafrips DACs yesterda. I'd love to hear the Terminator model, looks as though it would be really something.

On which output did you compare Soekris vs another dac?
My opinion is that buffer output stage is needed ... but not original one ...i rather listen to raw output although poor dynamics and music weight. I listen to supply upgraded version of soekris 1021 with input board ...and not use autodetect...i have feeling that autodetect soften already shy sound character of soekris dac.
I compared it with Total dac, Msb Analog dac and my tube ak4490 dac.
ChuckT...can you please describe major advantages of Ares vs Soekris? Also you can choose one song and describe. Thank you.

what is please the main difference between the 1021s' and the 1121s' ?

1121 is smaller.

There are significant implementation differences between to two, but they deliver the same approach and sound almost indistinguishable.

You can put a 1021 together, with onboard volume control, rather easier as it needs only one bipolar supply to get going. The 1121 is designed for integration and needs 3 supplies, strapping config pins and so on, or a controller to set config, adjust volume and so on. It also allows passthrough of the incoming I2S signals.

I'm sure you are right. But the question I was answering was limited to Buffalo or Dam. I had a lot of time and money in a Buffalo, but the Dam1021 edged it out of the box.

There are plenty great dacs to buy or build. I made a choice.

My experience, and I expect like you, I've been around the track with this stuff a few times, is there are bigger gains to be made in sourcing bits and vibrating air.

Mark

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Funny, I am listening to a 8 x tda1387 dac on the Rasberry pi3 on headphone while typing this. I believe tda1387 is just the smd version of the tda1545. I agree those old dac can sound pretty good with the right implementation.

Is that 8xTDA1387 one of the purpose-built RPi Hats, like this TeraDak or Audiophonics? Or the standalone tda1387x8 that's well-discussed here? Or something else all together?

Just something to think about:

The dam1021/dam1121 is designed to be neutral, to not add or subtract anything, in my opinion it's the performer who decides how things should sound.

It's not really designed for people who like the sound of tubes or transformers or other things that change the sound, although the dam's will work just fine with those.

Right on!:cheers:

I had Soekris at home week ago ...to made Vref mod to my friend. Input that i was listen to was usb diyinhk xmos board. I had a feeling that input board must be set to i2s usb not autodetect. It was cleaner sound on i2s than autodetect.
I listened trought raw output, despite less gain for me more right sounded.
Sound was very fluid, never anoying, resolution is good, no sign of jitter shaking sound, very stable. But not for music lovers who want action, drama, dynamics, big sound.
Compared to my tubeout AK4490, it is shy and to relaxed and stage is smaller it is pushed a little behind the speakers, but last rows are easy to hear. Neutrality is also not perfect. before and also after mod...hard to describe has one sound character that you notice after some time.
Despite all, i think that with right modification and better output stage can be very good dac for reasonably price.

in which row was your listening position?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I like to hear everybody's opinion on the dam1021 (or dam1121) sound quality, but as there have been several version and they have many possibilities for customization, you really need to state what version you have, what output you use, how it's powered and what else you have done....

We all agreed that the stock rev1 was not perfect, but it was really also a test engine for the core R-2R technology, it's not really fair comparing with that one....

On which output did you compare Soekris vs another dac?
My opinion is that buffer output stage is needed ... but not original one ...i rather listen to raw output although poor dynamics and music weight. I listen to supply upgraded version of soekris 1021 with input board ...and not use autodetect...i have feeling that autodetect soften already shy sound character of soekris dac.
I compared it with Total dac, Msb Analog dac and my tube ak4490 dac.
ChuckT...can you please describe major advantages of Ares vs Soekris? Also you can choose one song and describe. Thank you.

My Soekris is 1021 version 3 default digital filter with following tweaks: Oscon SEPC caps replacement in main supply, lm1117 3.3v replaced with cap/ferrite into tps7a4701, +/-5V 7805/7905 replace with tps7a47/tps7a33, added oscon cap in i2s isolation, i2s via Xmos xu208 usb board, pre regulation into 12v input via O core transformer and lm317/337. Source is upsampled feed from HQplayer/Intel Nuc (dsd or pcm). Only raw output was used as I never liked opamp right after digital out.
And then I tried a battery powered transformer out ak4495 which unseated the Soekris, and believe it or not, I find Eva cassidy and Katie Melua better sounding on the ak4495 (my opinion is those DS dac with transformer out is a different animal). Before I was using a modified Chinese es9018, and I am not sure it was a large jump in sound quality when I change to Soekris, so it could very well be my implementation of Soekris and obviously, my taste.

Is that 8xTDA1387 one of the purpose-built RPi Hats, like this TeraDak or Audiophonics? Or the standalone tda1387x8 that's well-discussed here? Or something else all together?

Hi, its the TeraDak Hi Hat dac with passive I/V out. I post image of my dac in your tda1387 wiki. Hmmm, I should start a thread to get some help on how the passive I/V can be improved:)

I think SOEKRIS is doing a great job for DIY community. Please note: it is called a DIY. You don't have to pay $20,000- $30,000 for a High-end commercial DAC, and then another $10K for the oscillator upgrade (which could be worth every cent, by the way...).

You get a very good design that can be upgraded by carefully applying modifications while doing a great hobby and having DIY-fun along the way.

My suggestion would be to focus on a very low noise regulators implementation from the get-go design phase, like LT3045 and on a very low phase noise oscillators' implementation and heat/vibration isolation of the same. The later one requires a special order and a bit of experimentation to get it right (or an R&D that only MSB can afford -> and then rightly charge $10K for the clock upgrade...), but OMG a difference it makes is unbelievable.

This is DIY site where things get shared. A reasonably priced DAC is offered by DIY Audio members, and then the community provides the feedback, learns a lot, the product gets improved and then re-offered (usually at the higher price, but in return there is a substantial sound improvement as well).

The designer (seller) and the DIY community work together towards better results. I do not see anything wrong with this.

I bought original 4 decker DDDAC from Doede. Many DIY-ers provided suggestions and their input with regard to current source and the low impedance shunt reg for analog section of each DAC chip. Doede implemented it by designing these solutions into Tent DAC decks, and offered a new DAC boards at the higher price but with better sound as well. Along the way, Guido benefited as well which also seems fine because he was quite active before on these forums. So, everyone gains.

I think few DIY-ers are of the opinion that ver1 of Soekris' product did not work as promised???

I suppose I could draw a parallel and say that Doede sold a version 1 of his DAC that was flawed because it did not have a current source for the Vref DAC pin nor it had the shunt regs, but that would be ludicrous in my opinion.

I have a Soekris v1 DAC and it sounds very very good,
but I've done the low res mod which is obligatory for the v1 version, also added some caps, after all this is DIY ;)

Last year we've compared my Soekris v1 with my friends AYA II TDA1541 and on 44.1 material they both played in the same league: very transparent and holographic.
This was tested on my speakers (Raal, accuton) with different amps (F5, Cubie).

In the meantime I've added better regulators to the Soekris and better isolation from the source, now it plays even better :)

Thanks to Soekris for making it possible to buy his modules for DIY !

I have a Soekris v1 DAC and it sounds very very good,
but I've done the low res mod which is obligatory for the v1 version, also added some caps, after all this is DIY ;)

Last year we've compared my Soekris v1 with my friends AYA II TDA1541 and on 44.1 material they both played in the same league: very transparent and holographic.
This was tested on my speakers (Raal, accuton) with different amps (F5, Cubie).

In the meantime I've added better regulators to the Soekris and better isolation from the source, now it plays even better :)

Thanks to Soekris for making it possible to buy his modules for DIY !

For the sake of context.... the AYA was used with the original pcm2706 usb input at that moment :D USB II interface from Pedja on order...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.