Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello have any one try fifopi i2s reclocer IAN CANADA FIFOPI ULTIMATE Reclocker Module FIFO PCM 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP - Audiophonics
Between dam 1021 i2s and any i2s source like xmos usb ,amanero usb,or raspberry pi?

What is the problem you're attempting to solve? (other wise this looks simply like marketing spam). That board is for Raspberry PI (which is known to have a very bad clock).

The DAM FPGA does reclocking from the i2s, after which the clocking is managed by the onboard clock as it up clocks to ~3MHz (2.8/3.2 IIRC depending on the format) for the switching of the R2R..

What is the problem you're attempting to solve?

That board is for Raspberry PI (which is known to have a very bad clock)

I think you'll find that the RPi's poor clocking is one of the problems being addressed by this board. As the product notes, which perhaps you haven't read, state;

"...allows you not to depend on the clock not dedicated to the audio of the Raspberry Pi..."

and

"...the Raspberry Pi clock must perform a non-integral division in order to convert its operating frequency into an audio-related clock frequency."

So, if you rely on the RPi clock you've compromised the data before it gets to the Soekris DAC and the downstream reclocking cannot fix that. This boards oscillators avoid that compromise by providing excellent clocking, at 44.1KHx and 48KHz rates (and related rates), so the poor RPi clocking isn't used.

...other wise this looks simply like marketing spam...

That's one thing IanCanada's products aren't, as many long-standing members of DIY Audio have experienced.

Last edited:
Hello have any one try fifopi i2s reclocer... ...Between dam 1021 i2s and any i2s source like xmos usb ,amanero usb,or raspberry pi?

If you wan't to use a USB input to the Soekris DAC I recommend using a JLSounds I2SoverUSB board, which has onboard isolation and reclocking and costs less that the IanCanada fifopi board. For a RPi I think the IanCanada board will do an excellent job of getting good data to the input of the 1021.

I use a JLSounds board on the front of my dam1121 and it works very well and is very simple to utilise.

This is not a marketing spam!
i dont know how many people try roon but best wey to good sound is:
Roon core system on intel nuc mini pc,that is counting every think(in my way it is dsp) next it is coonn3cted to lan, we need something with lan and usb ,like raspberry and this work like a bridge roon bridge. Rasperry dont count much so it is cleaner then intel nuc. Then next from raspberry by usb to xmos usb to i2s. This works well. But raspberry have an i2s out , lots of people say that it is better way then usb. Off corse we know that in usb and i2s in raspberry we have poor , not to audio clock. In usb we know that we have an little isolation and better audio clock in xmos, but if we want to use i2s from raspberry we need an isolation and clock that wille count again with no that much jitter. Sp mayby i2s will be better than usb. Off corse when i2s use we must have short connecion. What do you think?

I think you'll find that the RPi's poor clocking is one of the problems being addressed by this board. As the product notes, which perhaps you haven't read, state;

"...allows you not to depend on the clock not dedicated to the audio of the Raspberry Pi..."

and

"...the Raspberry Pi clock must perform a non-integral division in order to convert its operating frequency into an audio-related clock frequency."

So, if you rely on the RPi clock you've compromised the data before it gets to the Soekris DAC and the downstream reclocking cannot fix that. This boards oscillators avoid that compromise by providing excellent clocking, at 44.1KHx and 48KHz rates (and related rates), so the poor RPi clocking isn't used.

That's one thing IanCanada's products aren't, as many long-standing members of DIY Audio have experienced.

Yes - I like Ian’s stuff And there’s no problem there :)

The question was what was the problem it’s solving (that you’re experiencing)? No point buying something if there’s no problem if you see what I mean. Any artifacts in the current sound?

Also if using the xymos usb-i2c then it normally has an inbuilt fifo normally. The dam 1942 etc has a xymos chip but if using the internal unisolated connections then yes then are reclocking board will work.

Last edited:
To make it clear:

All soekris DAC boards already have a FIFO and reclocking on all digital inputs, adding an external reclocker will in best case just be redundant and waste of money....

The FIFO and Reclocking even works fine with a Raspberry Pi's crappy clock.

The 2nd I2S port on the dam19x1 may just need isolation.

Last edited:
To make it clear:

All soekris DAC boards already have a FIFO and reclocking on all digital inputs, adding an external reclocker will in best case just be redundant and waste of money....

The FIFO and Reclocking even works fine with a Raspberry Pi's crappy clock.

The 2nd I2S port on the dam19x1 may just need isolation.

OK, it looks as though I have misunderstood something along the line as I was under the impression that the Soekris DACs reclocked after the FPGA - sorry.

So on the 1021 and 1121;

• are the digital inputs just reclocked, or isolated and reclocked?
  • can their clock signals be used to clock a RPi (instead of it's onboard clock) as the IanCanada reclocker does??

As I said: All my dam and dac boards send the digital input though a FIFO and reclocks the input signals.

Some boards have isolation on some ports, depending on target application, like the dam1021 have isolated I2S port, the dam19x1 have isolation between USB and the internal I2S port and all SPDIF ports, all dac1xxx have isolation between USB and internal I2S port and on all SPDIF ports.

The reclocking on all boards except the dam1021 between the signals driving the shift registers before the R-2R networks is a different thing to reduce very high speed jitter.

None of the boards have clock output to drive I2S sources.

Am I right to understand the reclocking is done twice. Once at the digital input, second reclocking (in MHz speed) just before the R2R network shift registers. Correct?

Those are two different things, the one at the input work together with the FIFO to buffer up to 1mS of audio.
The one at the output is just one clock pulse, to take up nS jitter from the FPGA outputs.

In that case I would argue that using a reclocker, like the IanCanada one, with a RPi isn't redundant or a waste of money as they enable you to maintain the integrity of your data, for both 44.1KHz and 48KHz families, by avoiding the issues stemming from the poor RPi oscillator arrangement.

Actually, as I said, the FIFO / reclocker on a dam board can take up the jitter from the crappy Raspberry Pi Audio clock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.