Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm slighty picked, it doesn't work with my SPIDF connection and my SB Duet !

Green led is switched on without flashing so I assume it sees the signal from SB !

I checked and re checked the two shematics and don't see what is wrong :
traffo is the Pulse Enginnering linked in first page, pins were checked like the signal with a DC buzzer...

Global PS is good as I finally bought a 7v/15VA to avoid any bad choice of caps with a personal DC PS !

On the photograph I took the Gnd pin on the upper row : pin 3 starting to the left ! : white wire
signal is the Brown wire.
green wire is the 1.2 V took from the board !
resistor= 330 ohms (the traffo one)
the biggest resistor is 1K ohms in serie with the 1.2 V

I have not yet my Wave I/O yet to check.

Attachments

• IMAG1442.jpg
    IMAG1442.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 594
  • IMAG1445.jpg
    IMAG1445.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 582
  • IMAG1443.jpg
    IMAG1443.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 568
Hi,

Green led is switched on without flashing so I assume it sees the signal from SB !

traffo is the Pulse Enginnering linked in first page, pins were checked like the signal with a DC buzzer...

Global PS is good as I finally bought a 7v/15VA to avoid any bad choice of caps with a personal DC PS !

On the photograph I took the Gnd pin on the upper row : pin 3 starting to the left ! : white wire

Clearly looks like a user error here. You need two 7v AC windings. Look at the diagram.

Hi,

Power and SPDIF connections looks correct and if the dam1021 is locked to the SPDIF signal then things are good. Just make sure there is actually sound on the SPDIF signal....

Thanks Soren for your rapid answer.

Well the SB is good and works on a Subbu. I have to check with a second I have also. I use BNC all along the signal ! (no problem with the 330 ohms where I soldered it ?)

The led flahs green with no signal and stays green when I connect the SB !

Wll i check with the other SB Duet and check this one again with one of my two Subbu (but it plays every day ! ).

output signal is SE : with the signals took on the external edges of the 4 vias (2 vias of the center for Gnd).

Last edited:
:D It works !

Good sound, any harchness in the highs I had with the Subbu. So I surmise I was listening before the effect of the jitter or a ground loop : (still have to try the Subbu with the same pulse transformer to compare apple to apple ).

It lackes a little of body in the medium and dynamic to my taste but he tonal balance is subjectivly good (and goes low) on my system and for my taste on two 16/44 materials I know perfectly. In relation to the Subbu... the Subbu rocks more(more life?!) and has no lacke of clearness, with my mods on it some parts are clearer than the DAM1201 on my system but I surmise to be a tonal balance question... maybe, maybe not : on the Subbu (not stock) extinction of notes are longer ! ). But the confort in the highs makes the DAM1201 a better candidate for Jazz (despite the subjective lacke of dynamic) and classic music ! For me the DAM1201 has a better global accuracy if this words make sense ! The clearness in the highs is better as well !

I assume with a litte EQ it can be improved to paste to my system and had this lacke of body and subjective dynamic in the low-mid, between the higher and lower notes!

So it's just 16/44 with spidf for the moment, I'm verry hurry to receive the Wave I/O to try the result with the isolator and with upper sampling material than 48. The SYnology NAS I have can (my understanding) Stream 24/384 max but don't understand if the Squeezebox server soft has sampling limitation (resampling at 48 max, but think this limitation is due to the SB Duet when connected only ! )

It's not a review as I just heard two 16/44 material only :D with a torroid 7/15VA with a common filter + X2 0.33 uF caps on the primary !

So, well done Soren : very good job (a special for the high-mid & highs which are very nice to listen to without lacke of dynamic in the highs and highs-mid between two notes : :))

and I surmise even better result with the I2S from a USB receiver (or the new RPI player which could be a good alternative if the I2S signal is easy to pick out from a stacked daughterboard on it ?!).

Very positive DAC ! I would say very like a sota analog LP platine : the sound flows (liquid as the magasines write), maybe its best quality !

Attachments

• IMAG1446.jpg
    IMAG1446.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
(P.S. : hot white wire on the output is snake oïl 10 cm Mundorf silver cable... the one after is an 75 cm Oyade Across750... a much better cable for SE ! )

I'm asking myself how will sound a DC with a R-core and Panasonic FR 16V/2200... I gave up to obtain a 12 VDC despite a double diode bridge and 220 ohms resistor as a Pi with my 9V R-core (10 V unloaded... and 15.5 V unloaded after the Pi... with my R-Core, PSUII is not accurate at all, my wrong certainly !)

Is there a risk to remove the pulse transformer to compare ? Does the shematic change (I remove the 1.2v and the shunt cap with a direct SE spidf conection?) ?

Last edited:
Well, Is there a difference between a passive pulse transformer like the PE and an isolator chip ?

I would like to try without the pulse transformer, sometimes people prefer without it :does I need to keep the 330 ohms and the 0.1 uF shunt cap like the 1.2V (I don't understand the use of it, why the spidf chip is not feeded by a trace on the pcb ?). Ah ok there is a Fifo, so no difference !

I tryed to put uf-l connector on my Duet but it doesn't stay...coax cable are not so easy to solder on the little resistors in front of the Xilinq chip... DOn't want to worry to much about the Duet as now I know it have some limitation : 44/48 K hz sampling max, not upgradable at 192 like the Touch !

So with the I2S I will have exactly the same sound as the spidf for any 24/192 (24/48 with th eSB Duet limitation) material ?

So with the few High Resolution if no DSD is possible yet, SPIDF should suffice for most of us !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.