So whats the real deal with behringer ep-2500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am trying to find the scoop on the behringer ep-2500 amp. I have done alot of looking and I have seen that it does not do its rated power, that it does do its rated power, that its a budget amp with poor build quality, that its built better than crown amps (great quality), people say they are a great deal, people saying to stay away. Even on diyaudio there are alot of things said aout this amp, then people say things at the other end of the spectrum. The reason I ask is because I have the ability to buy one for 180 dollars in town. He sais he has had it for about two years, has used it about five times (weddings) and it still looks brand new. I plan using it to power a pair of rss315ho drivers in ported boxes. So at 4 ohms 650 watts per driver.

Thank you for any light shed.

Dan

Hello,

The EP2500 is a close brother to the the QSC RMX2450, and teh EP1500 is close to the RMX1450. The build quality is as good as the QSC's. I have schematics for the EP amps if anyone wants them. Schematics are available for the QSC amps as well for those who'd like to compare.

Their were high power tests done on it at the AVS forum. Try a search there.

The Mackie M series and the Tapco J series (Mackie made) also seem to be close copies of the QSC RMX series. The Tapcos are also well made. I haven't been up close with a Mackie M series amps so i can't comment there, but i assume they are also well made.

I'm hoping Behringer drops the A500 and makes an "EP800" so they have a complete range of good power amps.

PA290006.jpg

Tapco transformer is much bigger, and it has two fans.

"assuming that's top to bottom, Tapco, QSC, Behringer?? "

Yes: T, Q, B.

"but sometimes its the bits you can't see that count, like clip limiters and protection. "

Yes, but the schematic for the Tapco is IDENTICAL to the QSC. So is the basic Behringer, but it has different protection circuits.

The caps look bigger on the Tapco but they are the same µF, just 80V vs the QSC being 63V. A bit of safety margin for high line voltage conditions, plus the bigger can size allows it to run cooler for the same ripple current (for longer life).

"so would the tapco 2500 run two 8 0hm 18" bass bins (4 0hm) in bridge mode and be a happy little amp or would it get stressed an blow itself up? "

I never run amps below 4R in stereo, or 8R in mono. None of those designs have enough outputs or heatsink.

If you want to do that then buy the Behringer, throw away the transformer, and buy a new one at a lower voltage and higher current. What you now have will be like the QSC RMX1850HD.

Next time i have my camera at my friends house i'll pop open his EP2500. From what i remember the transformer is not that small. I think in the first round of EP2500's they used a smaller transformer, but now you get one as big as the Tapco's.

However it does look like the Tapco is worth the extra 50$.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

Here's a pic of my EP1500, transformer clearly larger than in djk's pic of an EP2500. So there seems like there is no rule (at least not without exceptions) about transformer size among manufactures of these amps.

Attachments

• ep1500.jpg
    ep1500.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,024

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I correct myself ;-)
So there seems like there is no rule (at least not without exceptions) about transformer size among manufactures of these amps.
Well at least Behringer seems to save on transformers sometimes, I don't know about the others.

Tests done with EP1500 and EP2500 at AVS forum that Strormrider hinted at seem to prove that in particular EP2500 has some troubles to reach it's advertised specifications. Nevertheless both these amps do provide some serious power for little money.
Link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865

Hi Guys
First post here!!

Were back on the Behringer Good/Bad debate. I see

;)

I have about 6 ep2500 and try run them in 4 ohms all the time.
Thing is they sound nice with the limiters on and seems to run fine.
I have run mine for nearly 24 hours on festivals.
There the best amp for the money, simple, and if you find a few cheap ones get them.
If you run them just under their clipping you should be fine.

If your thinking of touring then pay more for more robust amps (although they will fail at the worst possible time with Murphy's law!)

Cheers
Bob
wavesound :)

Different versions

I know this thread is years old. But, it closely matches my problem.

I am working on an EP2500 that is clipping in one channel. I have a schematic (Page 1 of 3 pages) dated Dec. 7, 2004. The amp has a build date in 2001. And, guess what? The unit is missing many of the front end (IC4 and 5) components. Also, most of the components are not numbered in accordance with the schematic.

Anyone have a schematic that matches my unit?

i don't have a schematic, but i do have a rather interesting experience to relate regarding behringer amp repair from this series of amps.....

if you take the boards out, mark your wires well where they go. i had one that had 2 rail voltages of +/-55 and +/- 90. unfortunately, both sets of rails had the same color wires, red for both the + rails and blk for both the - rails. if you get a set of rails mixed up, you likely won't damage any output devices, but you will smoke a filter cap.... been there done that....

Not exactly what I need

Unclejed,

Thanks for your reply. I have a clipping problem in one channel. Also, I cannot find part of the circuitry: THe part that has all of the ICs. I have looked everywhere I can without disassembling the main board and heat sink assembly.

Thanks for your cautionary story.

Offer from audiomachines

audiomachines,
Thanks for the offer. I was able to find a 3 page schematic at

http://elektrotanya.podzone.net/behringer_ep2500.pdf/download.html

Now. tell me why my eyes cannot find a single DIP. All of the ICs shown in the schematic are MIA. Unless, the brilliant engineers at Behringer have managed to hide them in the heatsink assembly.

Any hints on where to find them?

First time I serviced a Behr EP something - forget if it was 1500 or 2500, probably 1500 - I went nuts trying to find certain parts on the board for a channel. it took me a while to actually look and realize the boards were not mirrors and some of the channel circuits were all on one board.

SO if you can;t find certain parts, try looking on the other side of the heat sink.

Missing ICs

I have looked and looked and looked. I have used a mirror to look under both PCBs. I have used a magnifier to peer deeply into the soul of the PCBs. And, I cannot find the ICs.

I cannot reconcile the part number (T12, D37) differences between the schematic and the PCB. I am beginning to think that there are two different EP2500s; The one I have on the bench and the one in the schematic.

Anyone out there know where to find the ICs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.