Smaller Leach Amp V1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
probably because they are concerned about undercutting or something like that? there is a reason and masking can hide lots after all it's "masking". I think you're better off going wide than deep in etching, just common sense to me.

reminds me about folks avoiding a certain doctor because he diagnoses too well or is conservative in his testing!!!

just a reminder - I stepped in because Jens has too much going on to handle the group buy at the moment. If someone else on that side of the pond wants to take over and get the 3 oz boards, have at it.

I realize that we all like overkill, but has anyone had a chance to look at the current capabilities of the 2 oz board?

I think the idea is to reach a general conscensus that will benifit all.

Personally, i am fine with either getting 3Oz boards from Denmark, or 2Oz from the US if that will keep it a single order gb.
Going below 2Oz seems a bit silly after the work Jens did to widen the output traces.

Here is a picture of a 3Oz output board of the SL RG1(1986), i gathered 3Oz or higher is a standard with quite a few pro audio Co's for quite some time now:

Attachments

• 3oz copper.jpg
    3oz copper.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 520
Poking around Advanced's website I found that with the current design we should be able to get them to make the boards with up to 4 oz copper. I'm waiting for them to come in so I can find out how to get a proper quote.

For all you heavy metal fans, I'll get quotes for 3 oz and 4 oz.

Jens if you have done the layout properly 1 oz. will do if it comes to fusing the traces but you really don't need more than 2 oz. (= 70 um or 95 um) For handsoldering I shouldn't choose mare than 2 oz. My softstart has 95 um (minimum) and it's really hard to solder the realys and connectors and the traces are rather short... so don't make it hard to solder.

Hmm - do we really need to consider the heavier weights? The board is laid out so that all high current traces are quite wide. They look like 100 mils or better to me.

Bragging rights are cool, but if they come at the cost of difficult assembly and probable damaged components, why bother?

other comments?

OK - it seems that 2 oz is plenty (if not too much), so that is settled.

I just reread the quote carefully and noticed that the price does not include plated trough holes.

Is this an issue? If only a few vias would need to be maniually filled I would think not, but if lots of them, they ought to be plated through.

what say ye?

I might have missed something, but the boards are designed for plated holes, if you just have a dual layer PCB the grounding is going to be sub optimal, and soldering underneath the bigger components impossible as some of them have their connections on the top side of the board.

I must have plated holes and 2oz cu

\Jens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.