Smaller Leach Amp V1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, As Pinkmouse suggested, Advanced Circuits seems to be the low price leader. Boards will be $10.50 each plus reshipping costs. I've built a little padding in for shipping to me, excess will be donated to this website.

The catch is with the trace minimum spacing at 12mils we cannot get more than 2 oz. copper. Heavier would be nice, but I cannot ask Jens to rework his design. How do the rest of you feel about 2 oz. copper?

I don't know what the cost impact would be - advanced has a semi-automated system - upload the gerbers and they do a design check. (passed with no errors or warnings) There must be some sort of spacing check built in when you upload them, because they only gave me 1 oz or 2 oz choices. They say they'll do up to 5 oz. copper. If Jens increases the spacing, I'll quote it at 3 oz.

Advanced does offer a student discount, but does not say how much and the boards must be shipped to a university address to get it.

pbbpro did not change pricing from 2.5 oz to 1.5 oz.

Professor Leach's boards do not have nearly the trace width that Jens' design does, and they don't feel like particularly heavy copper. I suspect that we'll be fine with 2 oz, although more would be "better."

Hi,
I would stay with thin copper.
Then link all the Re resistor tails together with a 0.8mm or 1mm copper wire to the output inductor. This would just about double the copper area running to output.
I would consider the same for the track - fuse to collectors as well.
Not nearly as neat as thick copper but then you can have small spacing, cheaper PCBs and put the copper where it's needed.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
I would stay with thin copper.
Then link all the Re resistor tails together with a 0.8mm or 1mm copper wire to the output inductor. This would just about double the copper area running to output.
I would consider the same for the track - fuse to collectors as well.
Not nearly as neat as thick copper but then you can have small spacing, cheaper PCBs and put the copper where it's needed.

Please tell me that you are kidding :cannotbe:

\Jens

I can imagine adding a number of pads on the output trace a copper strip can be soldered to on the bottom side of the board.
But opting for less than 2 Oz boards is not my cup of tea, personally i even have problems going for less than 2.5 Oz. , for one i started to drool when Bob mentioned 5 Oz.
If Andrew is not kidding, please let him be the only one.

Just curious.

If couple of places can not make the boards with the heavier trace unless it is wider in the US.

Is the place in EU making the trace THICKER (Deeper) with the same width for more copper?
Jens obviously design the trace with 3oz copper in mind.

Does someone has an explanation for this. :confused:

I want more copper too!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.