Small volume speaker suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a boom box for camping and cabin trips. To make things easier, I have decided to put the battery and amplifier in a separate box to free up space for speakers. The case, which I'm sure nobody will be surprised by, is an ammo can. I plan on separating it into two chambers so it'll sound better running stereo sound.

Assuming I use a one inch piece of MDF (or another material) to divide the can into two spaces, I'm dealing with .21 cubic feet of volume per side.

Are there any 4", 4 ohm full range speakers out there capable of at least 40w RMS that will be good for that volume of enclosure? 50W RMS would be better as the amplifier I'm using is rated at 2x50w at 4 ohms. I can always run less power to the amplifier or use resistors so I don't blow anything up.

The closest I can find so far are the FaitalPRO 4FE35 that are 30w RMS, 60w peak, and recommend 0.24 cubic feet for a vented enclosure.

I'm building a boom box for camping and cabin trips. To make things easier, I have decided to put the battery and amplifier in a separate box to free up space for speakers.
I´d use the "free" space inside the "speaker cabinet" and have one less package to carry around.
Guitar combo and powered cabinet makers tend to agree with this :D

The case, which I'm sure nobody will be surprised by, is an ammo can. I plan on separating it into two chambers so it'll sound better running stereo sound.

Assuming I use a one inch piece of MDF (or another material) to divide the can into two spaces, I'm dealing with .21 cubic feet of volume per side.

Are there any 4", 4 ohm full range speakers out there capable of at least 40w RMS that will be good for that volume of enclosure? 50W RMS would be better as the amplifier I'm using is rated at 2x50w at 4 ohms. I can always run less power to the amplifier or use resistors so I don't blow anything up.
1) I would give a close look to actual amp specs, please link it here.
Assuming it´s 50W RMS into 4 ohm, it will give you around 25W RMS into 8 ohm, so no need for attenuators or anything like that.
And in any case you will NOT play continuous sinewaves through it, unless it´s a "crazy DJ" situation, you will NOT blow them by listening to undistorted Music.

The closest I can find so far are the FaitalPRO 4FE35 that are 30w RMS, 60w peak, and recommend 0.24 cubic feet for a vented enclosure.
Faitals are excellent speakers.

Again, please link to amplifier and battery spec sheets.

EDIT: search and read in this Forum the Boombox thread, they "wrote the book" on high quality batterypowered compact sound systems.

I think there is even an Ammo Can version or at least one same size, go figure.

I´d use the "free" space inside the "speaker cabinet" and have one less package to carry around.
Guitar combo and powered cabinet makers tend to agree with this :D

That was my initial plan as everyone does that. From the standpoint of sound quality and space for batteries, a second small ammo can made sense.

1) I would give a close look to actual amp specs, please link it here.
Assuming it´s 50W RMS into 4 ohm, it will give you around 25W RMS into 8 ohm, so no need for attenuators or anything like that.
And in any case you will NOT play continuous sinewaves through it, unless it´s a "crazy DJ" situation, you will NOT blow them by listening to undistorted Music.

At least per the Ti spec sheet on the TPA3116 chip, it will do 2x50w at 4 ohms and 2x30w at 8 ohms.

Again, please link to amplifier and battery spec sheets.

Sure! I'll be using the Dayton KAB-250v3

Battery wise, I'm building a pack out of, at least right now, 18650 cells. I'm going to initially do a 7s2p pack and run a buck boost converter to get the voltage down to 24v.

EDIT: search and read in this Forum the Boombox thread, they "wrote the book" on high quality batterypowered compact sound systems.

I think there is even an Ammo Can version or at least one same size, go figure.

I have looked at a few threads here and elsewhere but most just use a stereo amp without using a divider in the can. I'll look for the boombox thread as well!

How about a pair of 3-1/2" coax speakers?

Attachments

• mini3p5.jpg
    mini3p5.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.