small high sensitivity two way

-4 ohm, no baffle-step compensation, poor off-axis dispersion, high non-linear distortion..

I'm ok with 4 ohm..

I'll play with BSC but my ears are old and a slightly rising response isn't a bad thing.

Hopefully better off axis with 6.5" or 5.25" drivers.

I'm hoping that picking flat response drivers and doubling up mid woofers to lower excursion should help with distortion...

..I bought 4 Faitalpro 4FE32-16 drivers today.......so we'll see how these work with the Fountek.......

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE32

I originally ordered the 4FE35-16's but quickly realized the high Qts was not going to get a reasonably flat response even in a relatively large sealed enclosure....so I changed the order to the 4FE32-16's

These are 16 ohm 91db...

So based on the above TMM will likely be a better arrangement than MTM?

I'm thinking I'll cross them around 3500-4000hz with a 3rd or 4th order filter.

I'm considering trying a mini DSP with these...that should keep me entertained for awhile.

So far I'm considering the Tang Band W5-2143 full range driver. Thoughts?

The 5" Tang Band W5-2143 in a tapered sealed + rear stuffed cabinet produces very natural voices. A good physical fit in the IKEA salad bowl. You can time align a tiny DOME tweeter along the top the bowl...shape a large lump of plastic clay.
------
The Bache 001 speaker cuts the whizzer off of the Tang Band W8-1772 and adds a Fostex FT96 EX-2 tweeter. Their measurements might be useful to your work.

Attachments

• Bache 001.jpg
    Bache 001.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 372
I recently came across the Brio Nola clone. Small speakers and a subwoofer.
Nola by Accent Speaker Technology, Ltd.

You might need to adjust the dimensions due to the driver being larger, port ?, cabinet volume ?
Build dimensions post 178 on page 18 it's a Long read, they used a 3" Peerless tc9 8 ohm with 20ufd cap in series on the top woofer, you would have to use a dif value capacitor (16 ohms vs 8 in parallel). Speculation was the original uses 16 ohm drivers.
Try it without a cap.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid

post #40 note the top reversed
Nola Brio Trio updaate -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

post #221 page 23
Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid

Last edited:
I ordered a pair of Faitalpro 4FE35's as well.....this will also keep me entertained...

I can knock out Baltic birch test enclosures pretty quick....

I have a few ideas...and the folks here can tell me how silly they are once I get going. ;)

Last edited:
Let the fun begin......quick baltic birch test baffle..

Open baffle.....can flip it over for TMM config........the tweeter is roughly at ear height..about 42"

Just listened to it with just both FaitalPro 4FE32-16's wired in parallel.....sounds better than I expected.....now on to a crossover and getting the NeoCD 3.0 going. No stuffing in the back but I have a bag of polyfill.

..I haven't bought a miniDSP yet but I should....

Attachments

• faital test.jpg
    faital test.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 263
Looks good.

from previous post #66, Nola Brio Clone.
Try the top driver inverted polarity, then try a 10 ufd cap.

2-Way Crossover Calculator / Designer

The Brio Clone thread @ crossover was 1000 hz.
type in 8 ohm & 8 = @ 20ufd. Brio Nola uses 16 ohm & 16 ohm (like Your drivers) = @ 10 ufd

I tried an experiment last week with a sealed Alpair 6m (4 ohms) + an old Pioneer 4" (4 ohm) car speaker open baffle on top- series connection.
I was surprised that it sounded pretty good .
But I was really surprised with the Pioneer wires reversed, WAY Better.
For me if this experiment with mismatched drivers sounded so good, then matching drivers should sound Real Good.

Last edited:
The Brio Clone thread @ crossover was 1000 hz.
type in 8 ohm & 8 = @ 20ufd. Brio Nola uses 16 ohm & 16 ohm (like Your drivers) = @ 10 ufd

..a little lost here.....

I can't cross the ribbon anywhere near 1000hz..it'll melt :eek:

I'm planning on playing around 3500-4500 hz higher order...

I will put a cap (maybe a 10uf) in series with the tweeter to protect it while experimenting since it has close to zero DCR.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Let the fun begin......quick baltic birch test baffle..

Open baffle.....can flip it over for TMM config........the tweeter is roughly at ear height..about 42"

Just listened to it with just both FaitalPro 4FE32-16's wired in parallel.....sounds better than I expected.....now on to a crossover and getting the NeoCD 3.0 going. No stuffing in the back but I have a bag of polyfill.

..I haven't bought a miniDSP yet but I should....

your set up looks a lot like mine, I used two 6fe200 mids on open baffle with hivi ribbon as mtm
since I have used 6fe200 many times before for its high efficiency, low distortion, and generally benign breakups, I ended up running them with no crossover (well, active crossover at 150Hz for biamping) and just one cap for tweeter since its crossed at 5kHz. Very happy with the result.
good luck with your project!

your set up looks a lot like mine, I used two 6fe200 mids on open baffle with hivi ribbon as mtm
since I have used 6fe200 many times before for its high efficiency, low distortion, and generally benign breakups, I ended up running them with no crossover (well, active crossover at 150Hz for biamping) and just one cap for tweeter since its crossed at 5kHz. Very happy with the result.
good luck with your project!

6FE200's may be next.....

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I know the goal is a smallbookshelf but what about a MTMMM or TMMMM with the sb15NAC or satori midwoofers? The 4 ohm versions will get you into the low 90s, be really clean and get knto low 40s for bass. What’s not to like? A slimline floorstanding cab could occupy the same amount of space as a bookshelf on stands. Both the drivers have very smooth HF response. The 6.5in satori could be just called a full range driver, it’s that good.

The reason for 4 Ms is that you get about 6db boost from the in phase summing but loose about 3 db in baffle step, coming in at just above 90db/2.83v.

Last edited: