Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I advocate a power supply with all needed protection integrated, but nobody showed any interest to try that. JLH used stabilized power supply with electronic current fuse, loudspeaker protection against DC voltage, symmetrical switch off of both polarities in his 80 W moshet amp. I used his ideas in my power regulator with all that, but it's not stabilized, it acts as a kind capacitance multiplier. I don't like to have a relay contact or mosfet in series with the loudspeaker.
Hi Damir can you tell me the exact link with schematic and pcb for this protection circuit?
Regards
Thimios.

I advocate a power supply with all needed protection integrated, but nobody showed any interest to try that. JLH used stabilized power supply with electronic current fuse, loudspeaker protection against DC voltage, symmetrical switch off of both polarities in his 80 W moshet amp. I used his ideas in my power regulator with all that, but it's not stabilized, it acts as a kind capacitance multiplier. I don't like to have a relay contact or mosfet in series with the loudspeaker.

Hi Damir, I am ready to support you in this development - was thinking about this kind of approach, but then some other things took my attention away from it :)

If you can throw something in to start with, let's see what we can do, taking in account modern components and approaches. I would definitely add micro-controller there - extremely easy to program and adjust the algorithm, timing, delays, dependencies, etc. And normally you can buy it "on every corner" for $20 or so.

P.S. I did not mention status indication capabilities - leds, screens, texts, even graphs )) whatever you like. I like minimalistic approach with one led, indicating all the different statuses - it is very mature now ;)

Last edited:
If you can throw something in to start with, let's see what we can do, taking in account modern components and approaches. I would definitely add micro-controller there - extremely easy to program and adjust the algorithm, timing, delays, dependencies, etc. And normally you can buy it "on every corner" for $20 or so.

P.S. I did not mention status indication capabilities - leds, screens, texts, even graphs )) whatever you like. I like minimalistic approach with one led, indicating all the different statuses - it is very mature now ;)

I am wonder why I did not find a diy project of speaker protection using microcontroller here. I see ESP website using PIC microcontroller to protect speaker.

I think, small switching power supply + softstart + speaker protection in one PCB will be nice. It can be add in every amp project.

Hi Damir, I am ready to support you in this development - was thinking about this kind of approach, but then some other things took my attention away from it :)

This is finished developed project, with no micro controller, pure analog, no need for it as it is designed. If a micro controller would be added it would needed substantial change of design. I worked 30 years with telecommunication software(trouble shooting) and now I am back to my youth love, analog electronic. I'll add my last schematic and the PCB to my TT amp thread later today.

This is finished developed project, with no micro controller, pure analog, no need for it as it is designed. If a micro controller would be added it would needed substantial change of design. I worked 30 years with telecommunication software(trouble shooting) and now I am back to my youth love, analog electronic. I'll add my last schematic and the PCB to my TT amp thread later today.
Then add a link here:)

I love analog electronics, but also love micro-controllers for managing and protecting precious analog circuits ;)

Firmware!

This will be useful if you can share the software and the pdf pcb:)

Hi thimios, you're right, with the firmware it will work much better :D

I have placed the firmware and PCB layout in P-CAD ASCII interchange format in my 7-channel project thread (Firmware and PCB).

Are you sure you want it in PDF? Each side separately? I mean, it is mostly DipTrace-generated, double-layer with lots of transit holes... difficult to produce without automation. Normally P-CAD is goon for the workshops. I can also produce Gerber. So - just let me know what is good for you.

If you or somebody else will like to build this kind of protection - let me know, I will provide additional explanations.

Hi thimios, you're right, with the firmware it will work much better :D

I have placed the firmware and PCB layout in P-CAD ASCII interchange format in my 7-channel project thread (Firmware and PCB).

Are you sure you want it in PDF? Each side separately? I mean, it is mostly DipTrace-generated, double-layer with lots of transit holes... difficult to produce without automation. Normally P-CAD is goon for the workshops. I can also produce Gerber. So - just let me know what is good for you.

If you or somebody else will like to build this kind of protection - let me know, I will provide additional explanations.

Very nice. I will try it using ATMega32A. I made arduino compatible bootloader for ATMega32A and change arduino to work with it.

I have several MJL3281/1302. Any drawback to using these for the the outputs? My plan is to build 4 of the slewmonster boards so I will be able to have two separate complete stereo amps for comparing topologies. I have enough of these outputs to complete all 4 boards. I don't have enough of the 4281/4302 of 21193/4 to complete 4 boards.

Thanks, Terry

Are you sure you want it in PDF? Each side separately?
Yes i'm sure my friend ,each side separately because i want etching this myself.
Thanks.
Thimios

Here we go )

Just one thing... sorry, forgot to mention right away.
This PCB was made for mono-block. One channel.
For 7-channel design I use additional sub-PCB.

I can add second channel to it pretty easily. In couple of days.

Attachments

• 05-Protection-01.pdf
    387.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 05-Protection-02.pdf
    468.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 05-Protection-03.pdf
    506.3 KB · Views: 154
Those are cool .. V.

First off , I will try my hardest to make sure that we never
have to trigger it ! (below).

I "star" grounded ALL the returns and allowed
for very large PS and input stage caps (we can derate massively here).
With the 5ma VAS on a HS ... we should run super cool. :cool:
"Military grade" (bombproof) IPS's we shall have.

OS

Attachments

• cfa-xh1.JPG
    cfa-xh1.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 498
Those are cool .. V.

First off , I will try my hardest to make sure that we never
have to trigger it ! (below).

I "star" grounded ALL the returns and allowed
for very large PS and input stage caps (we can derate massively here).
With the 5ma VAS on a HS ... we should run super cool. :cool:
"Military grade" (bombproof) IPS's we shall have.

OS

I await your interpretation of the CFA-XH. I think it will likely be the go-to IPS and if I order more OPSs I will make at least one IPS available (likely this one) at the same time.

I have several MJL3281/1302. Any drawback to using these for the the outputs? My plan is to build 4 of the slewmonster boards so I will be able to have two separate complete stereo amps for comparing topologies. I have enough of these outputs to complete all 4 boards. I don't have enough of the 4281/4302 of 21193/4 to complete 4 boards.

Thanks, Terry

The outputs you have on hand, the MJL3281 / MJL1302 pairs, should be perfect for the OPS board, IMHO.