SKA GB150D now public domain...

I wonder if you guys (Paulo & Terry) have found an issue arising from those slight differences in Jim's boards v Greg's (& schematic)?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue. I have not finished my SKA yet. That pic is of another amp I am just finishing. I just wanted to know it that wave form was what he meant. I will let you know if I get a similar problem once my outputs arrive.

Blessings, Terry

You have a free square wave generator in your oscilloscope.
Now I have a free square wave generator. Thanks Bigun! :)

I attached the pics from the scope with 10pF cap. The scope gives 1kHz sine.I used the speaker as load so the voltage is only 4.60V (my ears can't stand a higher voltage-noise). All seemes normal, doesn't it?

One thing: after replacing the Rifa cap with a Wima the sibilance much reduced. But I still find the voices - particularly the female voices - a little hard, not smooth and polite as the original SKA. Could it be the 2SA/SC sound signature?

Attachments

• IMGP8539.JPG
    IMGP8539.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 901
  • IMGP8544.JPG
    IMGP8544.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 880
Now I have a free square wave generator. Thanks Bigun! :)

I attached the pics from the scope with 10pF cap. The scope gives 1kHz sine.I used the speaker as load so the voltage is only 4.60V (my ears can't stand a higher voltage-noise). All seemes normal, doesn't it?

One thing: after replacing the Rifa cap with a Wima the sibilance much reduced. But I still find the voices - particularly the female voices - a little hard, not smooth and polite as the original SKA. Could it be the 2SA/SC sound signature?

That waveform looks pretty damn good, it would be great to see how it performs at higher frequencies and voltages. Maybe you could build a cheap dummy load to save your hearing - I just use a few cheap power resistors in parallel.

Can't comment on the 2SA/SC transistors sorry, as I've only ever used BC5XX.

Are there any differences between the power supplies of the original SKA and this amp?

Disclaimer: I've never built a SKA, I just recognised the symptoms you mentioned and thought I might be able to help.

You might want to give the caps some break in time, say 10 hours or so

Do
That thought crossed my mind too, maybe the caps need some time to bed in.
After replacing the zobel cap the sibilance is gone.
The sound is still a little hard although much better. I'm trying different compensation caps, 15pf seems to tame the harshness but going higher it seems to kill the highs too much. I'm not sure if I let the 15pF in or reduce it a little more.

That thought crossed my mind too, maybe the caps need some time to bed in.
After replacing the zobel cap the sibilance is gone.
The sound is still a little hard although much better. I'm trying different compensation caps, 15pf seems to tame the harshness but going higher it seems to kill the highs too much. I'm not sure if I let the 15pF in or reduce it a little more.

Ii have got a problem with mine. It is drawing way to many amps. Did you build yours per the Jim's audio BOM? Can't seem to figure out what is happening. Pulling like 4amps per rail at only 15v. Just got through checking all the resistors and they are right on. Checking the devices next.

Thanks, Terry

Ii have got a problem with mine. It is drawing way to many amps. Did you build yours per the Jim's audio BOM? Can't seem to figure out what is happening. Pulling like 4amps per rail at only 15v. Just got through checking all the resistors and they are right on. Checking the devices next.

Thanks, Terry

I used Jim's BOM and no problems with it. Actualy, I solved the sibilance and hard sound problem, now everything is perfect sounding very good indeed! :)

Here some pictures of my build:

Attachments

• IMGP8528.JPG
    IMGP8528.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMGP8529.JPG
    IMGP8529.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMGP8509.JPG
    IMGP8509.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMGP8492.JPG
    IMGP8492.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMGP8490.JPG
    IMGP8490.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 300
  • IMGP8495.JPG
    IMGP8495.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMGP8557.JPG
    IMGP8557.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 757
  • IMGP8546.JPG
    IMGP8546.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 773
  • IMGP8555.JPG
    IMGP8555.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 818
  • IMGP8516.JPG
    IMGP8516.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Paulo, very nice work, the project looks most professional.
That's very flattering, thank you Bigun!:)

Nice build Paulo!
Thanks Do! :)

Hey, that's a Per-Anders Sjostrom softstart, same as I use in my SKA! :)
Yes, it is! :)

What did you do to solve the sibilance problem?
I first used a Rifa PHE450 as zobel capacitor and I was having a great deal of sibilance. Greg recommends a Wima MKP for this role. I changed this cap for a Wima MK10 and the sibilance was gone! :) I don't know if the Rifa was bad or was just the way it sounds in that position, anyway the sibilance was gone when I changed caps.