• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sjöström Super Regulator group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Fred,

Fred Dieckmann said:
Multilayer PCBs........ yep the more nasty FR-4 dielectric around the signal traces the better. How about a 4 layer board with signal traces even closer to ground and power planes, or better yet signal traces on the inner layers...........

Have you got any experience in this, does the different dielectric in fact change the way people perceive the sound. If you have any kind of test / measurement / proof / calc that back your claim – by all means present it, and convince the rest of the world that the practice they have been using for the last – I don’t know how long – is wrong. Tell us what we need to do differently, single sided PCBs with long component leads seems to be a very poor alternative to SMD components with short signal traces, small loops on the PCB and more often than not a better low noise design because the currents in resistors have to be smaller in order to make the design workable from a thermal point of view.

Of cause you still have to think about you layout when making multilayer PCBs, but you can incorporate a very effective ground philosophy and separate the different planes nicely – I have seen it done :)

\Jens

I have made a survey about the results and the fact is that noone has built a working regulator, meaning that noone has finsished the building. I'll hope that someone really connect the regulator in a electrical circuits some day.

With this I also want to point out that don't buy any pcb's for my SMD Gainclone if you aren't dedicated. I don't mind that I can order at least 100 boards but it's also a waste of money if the boards are unused. The difference between the regulator and the Gainclone is the SMD elctrolytic caps which the regulator has. Those are a bit hard to solder if you don't know the trick since the pads are under the cap. The Gainlcone has no such caps and the pcb is quite easy to solder.

peranders said:
I have made a survey about the results and the fact is that noone has built a working regulator, meaning that noone has finsished the building. I'll hope that someone really connect the regulator in a electrical circuits some day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not yet the patience to build my pcbs. However, the ALW version is excellent for clocks, unlike some (Audiocom Superegulator) which is unstable/ reacts badly with XOs.

Whatever others say, if you wish to suppress harmonics produced by interaction with XOs, you need a largish OSCON (100 to 680 uF) at the XO supply rail.

The ALW reg sounds good too.

peranders said:
Just wondering, when you talk about Audiocom, do you mean the very tiny Sulzer regulator with all SMD parts or do you mean the one with holemounted parts where those parts are very tight fitted?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The cheaper 78xx replacement. Should NOT be used with digital circuits without verification of performance.

In the US, people pay loads to replace theie SACD players with them!!! No measurements are ever presented.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.