simulating variovent with MJK sheets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am designing a pair of speakers (using the FR125) for my 11 year old daughter. since her wish is that they should not be too large (yes, this sh*t starts already at a young age), I thought of making a aperiodically damped (aka variovent, aka controlled leakage, etc) CB. (I first proposed the miniOnkens, but even these were considered too large)

a thought came in my head to use MJK's mathcad sheets for this, using the BR sheet and then "applying" damping material in the port to simulate the variovent.

anyone has ever done this? @MJK: do you expect this to give good results? and related: in your sheets you give 1 lb/ft³ as max damping material density, why's that?

that should give a starting point as well as a fall-back position... thanks.

I'll start the design on the speakers in a week or so (want to finish a pair of table-top TLs first) so if anyine can add some thoughts on this, please do so... and if I'm the 1st to try this, I'll report back here about the results

I'm glad it worked out for you.

11 yrs old and already getting a good set of speakers. That's too cool. My little sister is 17 and I don't think she's heard a decent stereo yet (we never lived in the same house, or else she would have.)

I'm toying with the idea of making her a cool little mini system with some cheap fullrangers and a tripath amp. Looks like it could be fun.

well, I have to admit it was the special design I have in mind and the FR125's good looks that made here give in (I had been trying to build a pair of decent speakers for her for a long time already, but she's not realy into music yet), but I'm sure she'll appreciate the result when they are ready

Henkjan said:

a thought came in my head to use MJK's mathcad sheets for this, using the BR sheet and then "applying" damping material in the port to simulate the variovent.

anyone has ever done this? @MJK: do you expect this to give good results? and related: in your sheets you give 1 lb/ft³ as max damping material density, why's that?

The 'ported box" work sheet allows densities over 1lb/ft3 in the port section. IIRC, Planet10 had mentioned some reservations about using this method for aperiodic simulation, but I think it to be the best solution thus far. I guess the question is: what is the stuffing density of a Variovent?

Richard Small's take on it:

GM

Attachments

• aru.gif
    aru.gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 349
so, with the encloser determined by the design and the size of the driver at ~4 liter, and a small BR tube I had lying around as starting points I mod-d the BR sheet to have stuffing in the port and increased the amount of stuffing until the response was flat

Attachments

• fr125 4l damped port.png
    fr125 4l damped port.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 251
this is with 5 lb/ft³ stuff dens in the port, which means I'll have to cram ~20 grams of BAF into a 1" 9cm long port :rolleyes:

the small ripple just above 700Hz is from a port resonance there, but since I will place the port at the rear I do not worry too much

the effect of the stuffing is best seen in the impedance plots, here the one of the damped port enclosure

Attachments

• fr125 4l damped port imp.png
    fr125 4l damped port imp.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 234
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.