Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I also figure that the new cartridge will yield more, obviously this SAE, while sounding fine given cost, is what it is and isnt what it isnt.
Either the AT33EV or Hana should perform substantially better. The AT looks like the most go for the least dough, but the Hana reviews sound like I may like it better higher cost not withstanding. AT is a bargain. I'm just afraid I might want something warmer, based only on reading, not listening....

Russellc

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, reading about cartridges is fine, but its a bit like learning to swim by watching others. At some point, I have to jump in and start splashing around! I figure if its popular, at least there is a market if it sucks. These cartridges have been used by several here, so at least that is an opinion using this phono pre, that is a help. All is some compromise

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The line preamp drives 20ft of cable?
I remember when I built the DIY Pearl 2, several of us had purchased the SAE cartridges and all had a bizzare noise problem
that was traced to that cartridge needing a cap/resistor from output signal to ground. If I remember right, it was something about the cartridges inductance maybe? This phono is quiet as it can be, so I doubt it, but just thought I would mention that.

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know about that. Maybe something in that cart's output impedance in combination with its output level was setting off the Pearl 2. An RC Zobel network is used to tame rising inductance. The UFSP has no loop feedback, the P2 has in its second stage I think.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I dont think this has any issue like that, I just know there is something a little odd about what it presents to the preamp. The thread is in 6L6 Pearl 2 build thread on the Pass forum. I will locate it. This unit sounds excellent, Im just gilding lilies and making a silk purse out a SAE! It actually sounds fine, I just know much better this pre will sound with a better cartridge. ( and of course, more$$$)

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Same here. I keep coming back to DL103 while tempting to go to something more neutral, like AT33, still at the end I have a suspicion that I'm go back to something more warmer. Something like an MM Nagaoka. If I get to hear a Hana I might put it on my list but reading for it hasn't convinced me yet.
I also have a DL-103R. Vintage type carts that have a strong following. Medium resolution, exaggerated presence range. You would like best a limited edition DL-103SA I would think. Better body resonance control, more & smoother detail. Generally sold out, Thakker used to offer it at EUR 699. Transplanting a DL-103R into a hardwood body should be the equivalent. The DL-103 family appreciates heavy arms and classic cuts.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't know if I am adjusting to this phono, it's breaking in or what, but it is sounding better and better. Perhaps the cartridge is loosening up from increased recent use, but this thing is coming into its own. Dead silent.

IIn the beginning I heard a very live mid presence region, highs a bit recessed, a slight boominess with bass, and a bit of congestion.

I really can't say this was the phono or ancillaries causing this but after playing with caps, VTA etc. and considerable play it is sounding fantastic.

Thanks Salas!

Russellc

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe a bit of everything you mentioned was at play and slowly those factors came to sync. Happy to know that you eventually like it so much, you are welcome. It will certainly resolve even more music with the better a cartridge you will be adopting in the future.