Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I see. At that case I'll might try Mogami w2549 - two twisted wires with braid. I'll use two of those: one for L and and one for R. The question is where to connect braids together to avoid loop: I must connect arm GND to braid at the arm side, then I need to connect braids again at RCA side and solder wire with Fork.
If you use a twisted pair and screen/shield on each channel, then the twisted pair are the signal wires.
The screen/shield does NOT connect to the audio, anywhere.
The screen for each channel goes to the chassis/enclosure at the point of entry.
Connecting the two screens to the enclosure does NOT create a loop in the audio circuits.

If you use a coaxial cable where the core is signal hot and the screen is signal cold, then these two wires go to the audio connections at the RIAA input.
These two audio connections are not connected to chassis/enclosure.
Connecting the two channels with one pair of coaxials should not create a loop in the audio circuitry. Because at the cartridge the two signal colds are NOT CONNECTED.

It is AFTER the RIAA where channels can share a common (unbalanced) audio ground that loops will be created.

Salas,
does the INPUT to the RIAA have a shared signal return/cold between the two channels?

Last edited:
Alexk,
does your arm output cable move?
Could be due to arm rotating, or due to a spring suspended sub-chassis.

If the arm output cable moves, then you must build in adequate compliance in the cable connection so that the movement is allowed.
This usually demands a very small pair of very soft coaxial cables, that can be located as "soft" springs, that do not impede arm movement.

A pair of twisted wires in a screen with insulation will be quite stiff and may never be adequately compliant for a moving arm.

Clear and harsh in the high. But as Teflon is said to be smooth after break in, i will give it a try.

I also tried 1k2 Zfoil to load the DL110 (proof of concept to see if it's worth buying 47k). The high was recessed, but overall details was clearly better. I will try again with those teflon one.

Then Alexk does not have any loops at the input to the RIAA.

I made that picture in order to finalize how it is looks . The only issue is the diameter of these two cables combine. I have 6mm hole in rivet to insert that. Hope you did see my TT pictures uploaded 2 days ago.

Arm motion is not limited since very tightly silk coated wires with cart clips are running through the arm. Phono cable is soldered to these wires at the vertical cylinder uses as ARM holder and for VTA adjustment piece. Please see my 2 days old pictures for TT Arm construction.

Attachments

• TT cable design.jpg
    TT cable design.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I personally would not gamble to mix the chassis ground with any signal shields. Especially if I had the pops incidents. I would go for single core coax per channel and a chassis wire. There are thin flexible RF cables when the collar diameter is restrictive. But each one tries own approach first and if its pop free so far so good.