Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Hey Joshua,

Can you describe what you mean by improve? I could understand if you say it makes tube amplifiers sound more consistent. But improve I guess I can't imagine in this context.

And is the regulation for variation in mains voltage? Or for voltage variations within the amplifier?

kevin

Can you describe what you mean by improve? I could understand if you say it makes tube amplifiers sound more consistent. But improve I guess I can't imagine in this context.

While technical data are easy to write down, the impact on sound quality of various pieces of gear, sometimes doesn't have any known, or proven, explanation. Sometimes one has to listen to the impact on sound quality, rather than seek technical, or scientific, explanation.

Well designed shunt regulators are the best there is, for any amplifier, except some power stages, in terms of their impact on sound quality.

There may be others who may elaborate on the technical benefit of shunt regulators.

And is the regulation for variation in mains voltage? Or for voltage variations within the amplifier?

Both.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a steady trend of reported benefits on tube line, phones, & phono builds by members who applied those. It will be nice to know your impressions in the future too. Its not about improving per se, its about putting the classic PSU negative contributions as much out of the picture as possible in a simple to build way. That is the concept.

There is a steady trend of reported benefits on tube line, phones, & phono builds by members who applied those. It will be nice to know your impressions in the future too. Its not about improving per se, its about putting the PSU negative contributions as much out of the picture as possible in a simple to build way. That is the concept.

Solid state amps also get improved sound quality from shunt regulators.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sure, hence my other developments. But a simple solution stepping beyond legacy tube series regulators I felt it was due non the less, that is why the SHV that led to the SSHV. Its economical and compact even, compared to tube regulators when the current is logical.

Hi Salas,

did you mention at one time if you use offboard psu, for SSHV PCB(from QH), to add 10uF the SSHV?

I'm using BAS PSU(CRC) so the large caps are on the bas pcb. Just want to check if I need a cap where C5 should go.

Getting closer to finishing the SSHV now. Will keep you posted once it's completed.

Thanks! :D

I'll be the ginea pig then. I'll build two supplies, one a simple crc, and the salas. Will report back over the weekend.

Vout will be 250, Vin 300. I load is 40ma. I'll set it for 60ma.

Hopefully i will get away with the chassis as the heatsink (modushop side panel, its substantial aluminimum and has a large surface area).

Last edited:
Hopefully i will get away with the chassis as the heatsink (modushop side panel, its substantial aluminimum and has a large surface area).

I worry about that case not being a good heatsink. For my amp I am using a large 8"x3"x1" finned heatsink on the back of the chassis. You Will probably be OK thoug as long as the tube is not pulled while the amp is on.

me too. I havent done any thermal calcs, but through experience i would say the panel will dissapate around 5 to 8 watts reasonably.

If i set the shunt for 65ma, V in will be 270 (havent checked yet) and Vout will be 240. Iload is 40ma.....
agreed with no tube the chassis would be inadequate, but loaded i think i will get away with it.

hmmm, sitch on this mornign ... snap.... something has died, even with the zeners in (quanghao board). more than likely me prodding and poking but hey ho.

check r1 and the volatge is up at 2.45v (was 1.98 when working). What are the likely candidates for replacement? logic says the irf9630 to em. Would you replace any others whilst at it?

Last edited: