Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sound Rays wrote "smelling taste of SSA", that means it didn't work. I tried the same ballanced schematic which didn't work as well. Only SE version can be made to work properly.

Only the VFET amps have more transparent sound than these. Actually, I also want to build cascoded VFET amps...

Hi Max.
Have you built CFA V-FET amp successfully? Is this cascoded with BJTs like Sony N7 or genuine V-FET amp? Do you have the schematic?

Last edited:
Hi Andry,

I am now totally focused on the Amnesis (Lin/Blameless) with low thermal memory, all cascoded. Once I get totally satisfied, I will make the VFET upgrade which is supposed to bias itself automatically.

BTW, the Amnesis now uses only three diodes to bias the cascodying Transistor ;) from output to base.
Thanks to Hephaïstos. RIP.

I told you I admire your patience with your experimental amp but IMHO your initial goals were too ambitious, not to say unnecesarily so...

My CFP amps sound neutral but my Amnesis sounds more musical. ;)
Edit: Solid Sate search button--> Amnesis.
Or do you ask about VSSA-VFET?

Cheers,
M.

Last edited:
VFET cascoded VSSA could be like this:

(resistors protecting the gates can be initially higher; 1k perhaps)

Attachments

• VFET cascoded VSSA.jpg
    VFET cascoded VSSA.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 717
I told you I admire your patience with your experimental amp but IMHO your initial goals were too ambitious, not to say unnecesarily so...

My CFP amps sound neutral but my Amnesis sounds more musical. ;)

Or do you ask about VSSA-VFET?

Thanks for your kinds wishes. I took my goals from the schematics of this thread.
I suppose CFA SIT (as you use NEC, not Sony V-FET) should be the fastest amp and thus the most musical). I have a couple of pairs of Tokin 2SK180 and would like to try them out as well in CFA design. But it must be a new thread than.
Never tried VSSA or TSSA, I think they are low power amps in comparison with SSAHP, not fit my needs.

Any complementary pair of VFETs will do. I also have Sony (SK60 and SJ18?), I don't remember.
There is one high power VSSA (BIGBT or something like this) and you could parallel outputs like Sony-TA N7.

Tokin Sk180 should be in "quasi" output, like Yamaha, but the biasing would be tricky. The good about the cascoded VFET is that they bias themselves; you only have to provide the biasing for the BJTs. ;)

Cheers,
M.

It worked right away but was a bit oscillating. It is very wideband so it amplifies nearly all what comes in. After i put the input filter it was quiet. I later reduced the filter to 1.2kOhm and 100pF. All that is left is a small is a small buzz that is only audible when i put my ears close to the driver. From the listening seat it is quiet and my speakers are 94dB sensitive.

After my request Laty Cat made this circuit. I would like to build it next.
Maybe the voltage regulators could be used here too, plus provision for adjustable idle and offset nul. Whould be great if the input impedance could be raised a bit.
Maybe Lazy Cat finds the time to commend on this.

Attachments

• 7EA7A9B9-2CAD-44AF-BAD0-72EE4FB903F7.png
    7EA7A9B9-2CAD-44AF-BAD0-72EE4FB903F7.png
    443.6 KB · Views: 887
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.