Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sir,

is there any working site providing some more info (prices, pictures, general schematics, etc.) ?
I looked at the GURU's site and found just an introduction page and the CONTACT US link.
I would appreciated any other information.
And please post about any your listening experience on these amps, that look extremely simple and nice.
I wonder if that unbelievably high PSRR has any effect on the sound.
In this case could a simple PSRR measurement give an idea of the sound quality of a power amp?
Very interesting point this one of the PSRR.

Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,

beppe

Hi,
Beppe has picked up the very point that Amp Guru has been lambasting us with for the past few months.

We are all listening to the rubbish being generated by our poor PSU which can ONLY be removed by buying one of Amp Guru's perfect amplifiers.

Yes, his engineer's/designer's argument is that very high PSRR does make an amp sound better if you adopt his topology.

Somewhat tongue in cheek and I'm sure will illicite a response from Amp Guru when he returns.

If you do some research Greg Ball has written previous papers on his design principles as published in the AES journal.

Like all these things they are great in theory but making it work as a practical design is an entirely different challenge.

On the PS ratings the designer has advised the amps are not designed for continuous long term rms output at their rated power as I understand it

The transformer rating has been selected for a balance of regulation and protection of the modules under quiescent and full load load respectively. Provided the filter capacitors are adequate I don't see this as being a problem for domestic use.

PSRR & Power Supplies

Seems to me there is a whole topic just in designing a good sounding power supply.

The reason for all the power in domestic situations is to handle short term transients correctly, NOT for RMS heating power!

High PSRR's dont necessarily fix everything as proved by the very high ratings in many op-amps whose sound still requires very judicious decoupling.

It seems there is much more to it than just using thick wire to couple in a huge transformer and caps!!

I think, as in tube amps and op-amps, it's the last decoupler you really hear.

cheers

wwood said:

Hi Miles, do you have some references that you can post?

Thanks,

Bill

Don't have any links, but I do have a Schematic that I found somewhere which was also copied from EDN (20 September, 1980). The main differences are the use of an active load on the first stage LTP, plus some extra circuitry that allows one to adjust the idle bias current of the finals by changing the tail current of the up-front LTP. Greg's amp doesn't have that particular feature (unless he's keeping it to himself).

Very similar idea. (Not that I'd be expecting anything radically different, given the tens of thousands of engineers who've been working on this for the past 40 years or so. ;) )

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I've just got the two of the SKA's up and running and all I can say is that I'm impressed, very impressed.

I've only had a few hours with it so far and haven't compared it to the 55N+ so I'm holding off with a review and comparison until I feel confident I fully understand each.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
float said:

Don't keep us waiting too long though :) I'm waiting for my kits to arrive so I'm already commited, but very interested in your SKA/AKSA/UCD views.

Hi float,

I don't have the UcD's anymore, they were never mine. So I won't be comparing those. I preferred the AKSA anyway, so if the SKA sounds better to me then logically it should be better than the UcD700AD also.

Don't forget that all this is highly subjective stuff and the equipment and room I use is bound to be different to what others use.

I've got SKA on in the background and I keep settling down for a serious listen every so often. Extremely impressed so far. If folks have ever heard the more expensive Chord amps then this will remind them of that sound ie. control, clarity, super clean high's and mid's with a solid and punchy bass.

Promise to write more after I've enjoyed the amp for awhile.

Well we are waiting.......................;)

Jam

Attachments

• new_1.jpg
    new_1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,250
ShinOBIWAN said:

I don't have the UcD's anymore, they were never mine. So I won't be comparing those. I preferred the AKSA anyway, so if the SKA sounds better to me then logically it should be better than the UcD700AD also.

Promise to write more after I've enjoyed the amp for awhile.

Cheers Shin, its just that I seem to remember you liking the slam and focus/transparency of the UcD more than the aKSA; comments based on the memory of the UcD will still be useful- not many here will have heard all three amps.

Time to enter patience mode...:angel:

Nice one Tube Dude.....:D ....But I would be wary of our fearless moderators.

Jam

P.S. I would like to say that sometimes our members do not show people like Mr.Curl the respect the deserves. Right or wrong .....till you have walked a mile in his shoes............nuff' said.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Don't forget that all this is highly subjective stuff and the equipment and room I use is bound to be different to what others use.

Dear Sir,

could you tell me something more about your system, expecially the speakers you are using for the listening tests?
I am following your posts with great interest as you can compare this amp with other two such remarkable amps (i.e. the UcD and the AKSA).
Thanky you so much.

Kind regards,

bg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.