Silicon Chip 200Watt LD amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Have you measured the currents though the LTP transistors?
Have you measured the AC voltage across the NFB cap?
Have you measured the difference in voltage across the LTP bases?
Have you measured the variation of bias with temperature?
Have you measured the variation of output offset with temperature?

Could the levels of the higher harmonics be an indication of crossover distortion? What was Vre during your first and this later test?

Can you repeat the testing with more bias current?
Try Vre=15mV and Vre=20mV

AndrewT said:
Have you measured the currents though the LTP transistors?
No. I've actually never measured current before, so I'm not sure how to do it. Across which pins of the transistors do I measure? Are there any issues I need to be aware of to do this with damaging anything?
Have you measured the AC voltage across the NFB cap?
Which one is the NFB cap? I searched the acronym dictionary but none of the definitions there look likely to be what you mean!: http://www.acronymattic.com/NFB.html
Have you measured the difference in voltage across the LTP bases?
No. I'll check that out. What does this measurement mean? What range should it be in?
Have you measured the variation of bias with temperature?
Have you measured the variation of output offset with temperature?
The mV across the output resistors goes up over time as the temperature increases. While I was running the tests for an extended period, since I was working the amp very hard, the heatsinks got very hot (only able to touch them for a couple of seconds comfortably), and mV across the resistors went up to 16.0, from 8.0 which is where they were at first.

I'm not sure what "output offset" is, or how I measure it.
Could the levels of the higher harmonics be an indication of crossover distortion? What was Vre during your first and this later test?
Sorry, I don't know what either of these questions mean, or how I test them. :confused:
Can you repeat the testing with more bias current?
Try Vre=15mV and Vre=20mV
I certainly can, but I'd like to try fixing the grounding issues that Arthur pointed out before I do much more testing. Another diyaudio member dropped by today and provided some suggestions on how to do this, do I'll see what impact that has.

Andrew, many thanks for your help - and sorry I'm not able to provide intelligent answers to many of your questions!

Re: Power

PHEONIX said:
You need to qualify how much power you are putting into the load, and how you do this.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I can easily get the voltage measurement (I've calibrated the software against my multimeter for this purpose), but I don't know how to get the current/power. When I picked the amperes setting on my DMM and connected it to the speaker outputs whilst under load, I got a little spark and blew the fuse. So I guess that's not the right way! :rolleyes: Any tips?...

Some success today, after making the following changes:
  • Use thicker wire for connecting PSU to amp
  • Insulate RCA sockets from chassis
  • Temporarily disconnect electronics from chassis
After making these changes, THD is much improved (compare 'Ch A' to 'New A', and 'Ch B' to 'New B'):
THDGroundImpact.PNG

I've now got THD at 1kHz-2kHz to match SC's measurements, and each channel is reasonably similar to the other (within 25% THD, compared to about 70% difference before). I can only do this at low power at the moment, because my voltage divider on the dummy load isn't attenuating enough for my sound card to handle full power. I've ordered the necessary parts to upgrade the dummy load to handle this, so I hopefully will be able to test at higher powers in the coming days. (According to SC's article, this shouldn't make any difference any way - they show no impact of power on THD, for 5-100W.)

The low frequency noise is much improved now - for instance if you compare this 1kHz spectrum to the one I showed a few days ago, you'll see 50Hz and harmonics down about 6-8dB as a result of these changes:
1kSpectNoGround.PNG

Next step is to reconnect the electronics to the chassis, this time via Rod Elliot's loop breaker circuit:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hopefully that will allow me to get the safety of proper earthing, without the "dual star ground" noise I was seeing earlier.

jp_howard said:

Done - and works beautifully. Low frequency noise is not impacted, and THD at 10kHz is down a tiny bit (0.0080% -> 0.0078%), I assume due to the EMF protection of the cap connected to chassis ground.

Be interested to see what you get for the THD at 10KHz at 100 watts into 8 ohms. This is where switching distortion will dominate when the amp is actually delivering a fair amount of current into the load ;)

Ray Chuck said:
what you get for the THD at 10KHz at 100 watts into 8 ohms. This is where switching distortion will dominate
is this back to front.

Crossover distortion is worst at outputs that just exceed the ClassA output current.

At high output current the proportion of crossover distortion reduces to almost insignificance compared to the other distortions that increase with increasing output current.

AndrewT said:
is this back to front.

Crossover distortion is worst at outputs that just exceed the ClassA output current.

At high output current the proportion of crossover distortion reduces to almost insignificance compared to the other distortions that increase with increasing output current.

Crossover distortion is a different mechanism to switching distortion. Switching distortion comes about because of minority carrier storage in the output devices causing both devices to conduct simultaneously during the crossover switching point, where as crossover distortion is caused by Gm overlapping. One is a large signal phenomena whereas the other one is a small signal phenomena. Switching distortion will be dominant for large signals(large currents) whereas crossover distortion will be dominant for small signals(low currents).

Some amps particularly those with low fT devices can't be driven hard at high levels at high frequencies for very long because the common mode conduction current can destroy the output devices :(

Re: Mutitone test

PHEONIX said:
Out of curiosity can you do a multitone test of your system without your the amp.

Like 10Khz 0db and 30K Khz at -80db, possible to do this. What does the spectrum look like when you do this.
Sure. I'm doing a new voltage divider with non-inductive resistors, and better shielding - when this is done, I'll need to redo the noise floor tests anyway, so when I do I'll posts the results and spectra.

Re: Re: Mutitone test

jp_howard said:

Sure. I'm doing a new voltage divider with non-inductive resistors, and better shielding - when this is done, I'll need to redo the noise floor tests anyway, so when I do I'll posts the results and spectra.

What is your sound card's audio bandwidth ?? If it is only 22KHz then you will get a false measurement for high frequency THD and you certainly won't get the same results as the Audio Precision with a bandwidth of 80KHz.

192kHz sample rate (24 bit). Sound card specs:

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 124dB
Input Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 118 dB
Output THD+N at 1kHz: 0.0003% (-110dB)
Input THD+N at 1kHz: 0.0002% (-113dB)
Frequency Response (-3dB, 24-bit/96kHz input): <10Hz to 90KHz

jp_howard said:
192kHz sample rate (24 bit). Sound card specs:

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 124dB
Input Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 118 dB
Output THD+N at 1kHz: 0.0003% (-110dB)
Input THD+N at 1kHz: 0.0002% (-113dB)
Frequency Response (-3dB, 24-bit/96kHz input): <10Hz to 90KHz

Just a thought for you, how do you know that those specs are correct? What if they were not that good? How did the manufacturer get those specs? Are those specs that good when the card is in your computer rather than the manufacturer's specially set up system?

Terry

pheonix358 said:
Just a thought for you, how do you know that those specs are correct? What if they were not that good? How did the manufacturer get those specs? Are those specs that good when the card is in your computer rather than the manufacturer's specially set up system?
The card comes with an Audio Precision test report. I've also done my own tests of the card - see earlier in the thread for details. Also note that I measure the noise floor of the card+cabling+dummy load+voltage divider, at each of the frequencies I test the amp at.

Got the non-inductive resistors today for the new dummy load/voltage divider. I'm going to use a pair of heatsinks both for heat resistance, and as the sides of the unit (so they'll work as shields too). I'm using a combination of resistors in parallel and series plus a number of different sockets connected to different parts of the series to allow me to choose different levels of attenuation by simply plugging into a different socket. Here's one of the sides, prior to do any wiring:
DummyLoad2OneSide.JPG

The big resistor is a 50W/15Ohm (which will go in parallel with another same specced on the other resistor, in order to provide 100W/7.5Ohm). The others are to handle the various different levels of voltage division.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.